R&D and M&A : Are cross-border M&A different ? An investigation on OECD countries
AbstractThis paper investigates the incidence of national and cross-border M&A on industrial R&D investment in OECD countries over the period 1990-1999. We use generalized method of moments (GMM) estimation techniques for dynamic panel data and control for market-related and technological determinants of R&D production. Our findings show that the last M&A wave contributed to expand domestic R&D activities, especially in high-technology intensive industries. However, further evidence suggests that cross-border M&A (particularly outward M&A), and not domestic ones, have stimulated more significantly R&D spending. This result gives evidence that anti-competition effects are more likely to affect negatively R&D activities with a domestic M&A. Reversely, efficiency gains might be higher in a cross-border operation, encouraging merging firms to raise their R&D investments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1) in its series Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques with number bla04072.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
M&A; Industrial restructuring; R&D; technology.;
Other versions of this item:
- Bertrand, Olivier & Zuniga, Pluvia, 2006. "R&D and M&A: Are cross-border M&A different? An investigation on OECD countries," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 401-423, March.
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-03-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-03-13 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CWA-2005-03-13 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-GEO-2005-03-13 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2005-03-13 (Innovation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Basant, Rakesh & Mishra, Pulak, . "Concentration and Other Determinants of Innovative Efforts in Indian Manufacturing Sector: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis," IIMA Working Papers WP2013-02-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Stiebale, Joel, 2013. "The impact of cross-border mergers and acquisitions on the acquirers' R&D — Firm-level evidence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 307-321.
- Frey, Rainer & Hussinger, Katrin, 2006.
"The role of technology in M&As: a firm-level comparison of cross-border and domestic deals,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,45, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Frey, Rainer & Hussinger, Katrin, 2006. "The Role of Technology in M&As: A Firm Level Comparison of Cross-Border and Domestic Deals," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-69, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2013.
"Globalization and knowledge spillover: international direct investment, exports and patents,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 329-352, June.
- Chang, C-L. & Chang, S.P. & McAleer, M.J., 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-55, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2012. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2012-16, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," KIER Working Papers 721, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Sung-Po Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Globalization and Knowledge Spillover: International Direct Investment, Exports and Patents," Working Papers in Economics 10/54, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Bertrand, Olivier & Hakkala, Katariina & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan, 2007. "Cross-Border Acquisition or Greenfield Entry: Does it Matter for Affiliate R&D?," Working Paper Series 693, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ahammad, Mohammad Faisal & Glaister, Keith W., 2013. "The pre-acquisition evaluation of target firms and cross border acquisition performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 894-904.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.