Dynamic modeling of regional house price diffusion in Taiwan
AbstractThis paper examines the lead-lag relationships and the dynamic linkages among four regional house price indices in Taiwan. We employ the Johansen cointegration technique, Toda and Yamamoto’s Granger causality test, the generalized impulse response approach, and variance decomposition analysis to find out the extent and the magnitude of their relationships. The estimated long-run relationship between regional house prices appears to have remained stable throughout the sample period. Our empirical results show a bidirectional relationship between house prices in the most important economic center, Taipei City, and its suburban area, Taipei County. However, there are no causalities of house prices between Taipei City and other megacities in Taiwan. The mutual impacts of the shocks between house prices in Taipei City and Taipei County are significantly positive, while these impacts on Kaohsiung City, far from Taipei City, are insignificant. Finally, the results of the generalized impulse response approach indicate that the house prices indices of Taipei City are the most exogenous while those for Taipei County are the most endogenous.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Housing Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622881
Regional house prices; Ripple effect; Granger causality; Generalized impulse response; Variance decomposition analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patricia Fraser & Martin Hoesli & Lynn Mc Alevey, .
"House Prices and Bubbles in New Zealand,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
06-20, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Basu, Sabyasachi & Thibodeau, Thomas G, 1998. "Analysis of Spatial Autocorrelation in House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 61-85, July.
- Walter Dolde & Dogan Tirtiroglu, 1997. "Temporal and Spatial Information Diffusion in Real Estate Price Changes and Variances," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 25(4), pages 539-565.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Peng, Wensheng, 2005.
"Bank lending and property prices in Hong Kong,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 461-481, February.
- Riddel, Mary, 2004. "Housing-market disequilibrium: an examination of housing-market price and stock dynamics 1967-1998," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 120-135, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung, 2004.
"Macroeconomics and Housing: A Review of the Literature,"
00004, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Leung, Charles, 2004. "Macroeconomics and housing: a review of the literature," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 249-267, December.
- Charles Ka-Yui Leung, 2004. "Macroeconomics and Housing: A Review of the Literature," Departmental Working Papers _164, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Cook, Steven, 2005. "Regional house price behaviour in the UK: application of a joint testing procedure," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 345(3), pages 611-621.
- Lastrapes, W.D., 2000.
"The Real Price of Housing and Money Supply Shocks: Time Series Evidence and Theoretical Simulations,"
00-479, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics.
- Lastrapes, William D., 2002. "The Real Price of Housing and Money Supply Shocks: Time Series Evidence and Theoretical Simulations," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 40-74, March.
- Ewing, Bradley T. & Payne, James E., 2005. "The response of real estate investment trust returns to macroeconomic shocks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 293-300, March.
- Oikarinen, Elias, 2009.
"Interaction between housing prices and household borrowing: The Finnish case,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 747-756, April.
- Elias Oikarinen, 2008. "Interaction between housing prices and household borrowing - the Finnish case," Discussion Papers 29, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- Lennart Berg, 2002.
"Prices on the second-hand market for Swedish family houses: correlation, causation and determinants,"
European Journal of Housing Policy,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-24, April.
- Berg, L., 2000. "Prices on the Second-Hand Market for Swedish Family Houses -Correlation, Causation and Determinants," Papers 2000:7, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Berg, Lennart, 2000. "Prices on the Second-hand Market for Swedish Family Houses – Correlation, Causation and Determinants," Working Paper Series 2000:7, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- James H. Stock, 1992.
"Deciding Between I(1) and I(0),"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oikarinen, Elias, 2005. "The Diffusion of Housing Price Movements from Centre to Surrounding Areas," Discussion Papers 979, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Chien-Chiang Lee & Mei-Se Chien, 2011. "Empirical Modelling of Regional House Prices and the Ripple Effect," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 48(10), pages 2029-2047, August.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Clapp, John M. & Tirtiroglu, Dogan, 1994. "Positive feedback trading and diffusion of asset price changes: Evidence from housing transactions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 337-355, August.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Morris A. Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2005.
"Housing And The Business Cycle,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(3), pages 751-784, 08.
- Morris Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2004. "Housing and the business cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Davis, Morris & Heathcote, Jonathan, 2001. "Housing and the Business Cycle," Working Papers 01-09, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ji-Ping Lin & Kao-Lee Liaw, 2000. "Labor migrations in Taiwan: characterization and interpretation based on the data of the 1990 Census," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 32(9), pages 1689-1709, September.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 2003. "Is There a Bubble in the Housing Market?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(2), pages 299-362.
- Colin Jones & Chris Leishman & Craig Watkins, 2003. "Structural change in a local urban housing market," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 35(7), pages 1315-1326, July.
- Ashworth, John & Parker, Simon C, 1997. "Modelling Regional House Prices in the UK," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 44(3), pages 225-46, August.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Liu Chunlu & Ma Le & Picken David & Luo Zhen, 2008. "Identifying House Price Diffusion Patterns Among Australian State Capital Cities," International Journal of Strategic Property Management, De Gruyter Open, vol. 12(4), pages 237-250, December.
- McDonald, Ronald & Taylor, Mark P, 1993. "Regional House Prices in Britain: Long-Run Relationships and Short-Run Dynamics," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 40(1), pages 43-55, February.
- Mark J. Holmes & Arthur Grimes, 2005. "Is there long-run convergence of regional house prices in the UK?," Working Papers 05_11, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- John M. Clapp & Walter Dolde & Dogan Tirtiroglu, 1995. "Imperfect Information and Investor Inferences From Housing Price Dynamics," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 23(3), pages 239-269.
- Mei-Se Chien, 2010. "Structural Breaks and the Convergence of Regional House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 77-88, January.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- G. Donald Jud & Dan T. Winkler, 2002. "The Dynamics of Metropolitan Housing Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(1/2), pages 29-46.
- Oikarinen, Elias, 2009. "Household borrowing and metropolitan housing price dynamics - Empirical evidence from Helsinki," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 126-139, June.
- Zhen Qiang Luo & Chunlu Liu & David Picken, 2007. "Housing price diffusion pattern of Australia's state capital cities," International Journal of Strategic Property Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 227-242, November.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Chien, Mei-Se & Lin, Tsoyu Calvin, 2012. "Dynamic modelling of real estate investment trusts and stock markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 395-407.
- Kuang-Liang Chang, 2012. "Analysis of structural changes in the relationship between regional housing markets in Taiwan," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2220-2230.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Huang, Wei-Ling & Yin, Chun-Hao, 2013. "The dynamic interactions among the stock, bond and insurance markets," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 28-52.
- Kuang-Liang Chang & Ming-Hui Yen, 2014. "The magnitude and significance of macroeconomic variables in explaining regional housing fluctuations," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(2), pages 828-841.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.