Deciding between I(1) and I(0)
AbstractThis paper proposes a class of procedures that consistently classify the stochastic component of a time series as being integrated either of order zero (l(0Â» or one (l(1Â» for general 1(0) and 1(1) processes. These procedures entail the evaluation of the asymptotic likelihoods of certain statistics under the 1(0)and 1(1) hypotheses. These likelihoods do not depend on nuisance parameters describing short-run dynamics and diverge asymptotically, so their ratio provides a consistent basis for classifying a process as 1(1) or 1(0). Bayesian inference can be performed by placing prior mass only on the point hypotheses "1(0)" and "1(1)" without needing to specify parametric priors within the classes of 1(0) and 1(1) processes; the result is posterior odds ratios for the 1(0) and 1(1) hypotheses. These procedures are developed for general polynomial and piecewise linear detrending. When applied to the Nelson-Plosser data with linear detrending, they largely support the original Nelson-Plosser inferences. With piecewise-linear detrending these data are typically uninformative, producing Bayes factors that are close to one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 63 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Pei-Fen & Chien, Mei-Se & Lee, Chien-Chiang, 2011. "Dynamic modeling of regional house price diffusion in Taiwan," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 315-332.
- Kramer, Walter & Davies, Laurie, 2002.
"Testing for unit roots in the context of misspecified logarithmic random walks,"
Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 313-319, February.
- Krämer, Walter & Davies, Laurie, 2000. "Testing for unit roots in the context of misspecified logarithmic random walks," Technical Reports 2000,30, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Umino, Shingo, 2014. "Real-time estimation of the equilibrium real interest rate: Evidence from Japan," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 17-32.
- Razvan Pascalau, 2010.
"Unit root tests with smooth breaks: an application to the Nelson-Plosser data set,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 565-570.
- Pascalau, Razvan, 2008. "Unit Roots Tests with Smooth Breaks: An Application to the Nelson-Plosser Data Set," MPRA Paper 7220, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- María Presno & Anna López, 2003. "Testing for stationarity in series with a shift in the mean. A fredholm approach," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 195-213, June.
- Felipe M. Aparicio & Alvaro Escribano & Ana García, 2003. "Range Unit Root Tests," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws031126, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Felipe M. Aparicio & Alvaro Escribano & Ana García, 2004. "A Range Unit Root Test," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws041104, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Ahn & Byung Chul, 1994. "Testing the null of stationarity in the presence of structural breaks for multiple time series," Econometrics 9411001, EconWPA, revised 08 Nov 1994.
- Blomqvist, A.G. & Carter, R.A.L., 1993.
"Is Health Care Really a Luxury?,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9311, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Kunst, Robert M., 2005. "Approaches for the Joint Evaluation of Hypothesis Tests: Classical Testing, Bayes Testing, and Joint Confirmation," Economics Series 177, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Nunzio Cappuccio & Diego Lubian, 2007. "Asymptotic Null Distributions of Stationarity and Nonstationarity Tests Under Local-to-finite Variance Errors," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 59(3), pages 403-423, September.
- Nunzio Cappuccio & Diego Lubian, 2003. "Asymptotic null distributions of stationarity and nonstationarity," Working Papers 8, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Gil-Alana, L. A. & Robinson, P. M., 1997. "Testing of unit root and other nonstationary hypotheses in macroeconomic time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 241-268, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.