May 2001, Volume 29, Issue 5
- 799-811 Small-Scale Farmers Expand the Benefits of Improved Maize Germplasm: A Case Study from Chiapas, Mexico
by Bellon, Mauricio R. & Risopoulos, Jean
- 813-825 Impact of Bt Cotton in China
by Pray, Carl & Ma, Danmeng & Huang, Jikun & Qiao, Fangbin
- 827-840 Does the Private Sector Help or Hurt the Environment? Evidence from Carbon Dioxide Pollution in Developing Countries
by Talukdar, Debabrata & Meisner, Craig M.
- 841-863 What Does the 'Show Case' Show? Evidence of and Lessons from Adjustment in Uganda
by Dijkstra, A. Geske & Kees van Donge, Jan
- 865-886 Reform Strategies and Economic Performance of Russia's Regions
by Popov, Vladimir
- 887-910 Giving to the Poor? Targeting of Food Aid in Rural Ethiopia
by Jayne, T. S. & Strauss, John & Yamano, Takashi & Molla, Daniel
- 911-923 Pension Reform and Gender Gaps in Latin America: What are the Policy Options?
by Bertranou, Fabio M.
April 2001, Volume 29, Issue 4
- 573-587 Evolving Tenure Rights and Agricultural Intensification in Southwestern Burkina Faso
by Gray, Leslie C. & Kevane, Michael
- 589-600 Challenges to Proponents of Common Property Recource Systems: Despairing Voices from the Social Forests of Zimbabwe
by Campbell, Bruce & Mandondo, Alois & Nemarundwe, Nontokozo & Sithole, Bevlyne & De JonG, Wil & Luckert, Marty & Matose, Frank
- 601-617 The "New" Kerala Model: Lessons for Sustainable Development
by Veron, Rene
- 619-639 Vernacular Models of Development: An Analysis of Indonesia Under the "New Order"
by Dove, Michael R. & Kammen, Daniel M.
- 641-656 Somali Reconstruction and Local Initiative: Amoud University
by Samatar, Abdi Ismail
- 657-671 Disempowerment of Men in Rural and Urban East Africa: Implications for Male Identity and Sexual Behavior
by Silberschmidt, Margrethe
- 673-689 Trade Liberalization and National Food Security: Rice Trade between Bangladesh and India
by Dorosh, Paul A.
- 691-710 Hedging Price Risks of Farmers by Commodity Boards: A Simulation Applied to the Indian Natural Rubber Market
by Zant, Wouter
- 711-724 Credibility and Reputation Building in the Developmental State: A Model with East Asian Applications
by Huff, W. G. & Dewit, G. & Oughton, C.
- 725-745 Patterns and Sources of Changing Wage Inequality in Chile and Costa Rica During Structural Adjustment
by Gindling, T. H. & Robbins, Donald
March 2001, Volume 29, Issue 3
- 395-409 Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in Latin America: Overview and Policy Implications
by Reardon, Thomas & Berdegue, Julio & Escobar, German
- 411-425 Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in Chile
by Berdegue, Julio A. & Ramirez, Eduardo & Reardon, Thomas & Escobar, German
- 427-442 Rural Nonfarm Incomes in Nicaragua
by Corral, Leonardo & Reardon, Thomas
- 443-453 Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in Brazil: Patterns and Evolution
by Graziano da Silva, Jose & Eduardo Del Grossi, Mauro
- 455-465 Rural Nonfarm Employment and Income Diversification in Colombia
by Deininger, Klaus & Olinto, Pedro
- 467-480 Income Strategies Among Rural Households in Mexico: The Role of Off-farm Activities
by Janvry, Alain de & Sadoulet, Elisabeth
- 481-496 Intersectoral Transfer, Growth, and Inequality in Rural Ecuador
by Elbers, Chris & Lanjouw, Peter
- 497-508 The Determinants of Nonfarm Income Diversification in Rural Peru
by Escobal, Javier
- 509-528 Rural Nonfarm Activities and Poverty in the Brazilian Northeast
by Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Lanjouw, Peter
- 529-547 Nonfarm Employment and Poverty in Rural El Salvador
by Lanjouw, Peter
- 549-560 Nonfarm Employment and Poverty Alleviation of Rural Farm Households in Honduras
by Ruben, Ruerd & Van den berg, Marrit
- 561-572 The Determinants of Nonfarm Activities and Incomes of Rural Households in Mexico, with Emphasis on Education
by Yunez-Naude, Antonio & Edward Taylor, J.
February 2001, Volume 29, Issue 2
- 209-227 Social Capital and the Environment
by Pretty, Jules & Ward, Hugh
- 229-244 Creating Social Capital in Russia: The Novgorod Model
by Petro, Nicolai N.
- 245-263 Government Failure, Social Capital and the Appropriateness of the New Zealand Model for Public Sector Reform in Developing Countries
by Wallis, Joe & Dollery, Brian
- 265-289 New Pills for Poor People? Empirical Evidence after GATT
by Lanjouw, Jean O. & Cockburn, Iain M.
- 291-309 MNCs and Sustainable Business Practice: The Case of the Colombian and Peruvian Petroleum Industries
by Moser, Titus
- 311-321 Trade Credit and Productive Efficiency in Developing Countries
by Fisman, Raymond
- 323-343 The Role of Capital Accumulation, Adjustment and Structural Change for Economic Take-Off: Empirical Evidence from African Growth Episodes
by Berthelemy, Jean-claude & Soderling, Ludvig
- 345-363 Upgrading Primary Production: A Global Commodity Chain Approach
by Gibbon, Peter
- 365-383 A Model of Aid Impact in Some South Pacific Microstates
by Laplagne, Patrick & Treadgold, Malcolm & Baldry, Jonathan
- 385-393 Strategies to Reduce Contribution Evasion in Social Security Financing
by Bailey, Clive & Turner, John
January 2001, Volume 29, Issue 1
- 1-22 What Do We Know About Economic Growth? Or, Why Don't We Know Very Much?
by Kenny, Charles & Williams, David
- 23-37 Bureaucrats in Business, Chinese-Style: The Lessons of Market Reform and State Entrepreneurialism in the People's Republic of China
by Duckett, Jane
- 39-62 Microfinance with Chinese Characteristics
by Park, Albert & Ren, Changqing
- 63-84 Conflicts Over Credit: Re-Evaluating the Empowerment Potential of Loans to Women in Rural Bangladesh
by Kabeer, Naila
- 85-102 Barriers to Agricultural Exports from Developing Countries: The Role of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Requirements
by Henson, Spencer & Loader, Rupert
- 103-117 The Private Delivery of Public Crop Varieties: Rice in Andhra Pradesh
by Tripp, Robert & Pal, Suresh
- 119-133 Building on Poor People's Capacities: The Case of Common Property Resources in India and West Africa
by Beck, Tony & Nesmith, Cathy
- 135-153 Paradox of Empowerment: Reflections on a Case Study from Northern Ghana
by Botchway, Karl
- 155-166 Literacy and Intrahousehold Externalities
by Gibson, John
- 167-188 Youth Education and Work in Mexico
by Levison, Deborah & Moe, Karine S. & Marie Knaul, Felicia
- 189-208 Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals
by Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji
December 2000, Volume 28, Issue 12
- 2029-2049 Human Development and Economic Sustainability
by Anand, Sudhir & Sen, Amartya
- 2051-2065 Political Responsibility in Transnational NGO Advocacy
by Jordan, Lisa & van Tuijl, Peter
- 2067-2082 Informal Sector Pollution Control: What Policy Options Do We Have?
by Blackman, Allen
- 2083-2103 From Linear Fuel Switching to Multiple Cooking Strategies: A Critique and Alternative to the Energy Ladder Model
by Masera, Omar R. & Saatkamp, Barbara D. & Kammen, Daniel M.
- 2105-2122 Are Cash Budgets a Cure for Excess Fiscal Deficits (and at What Cost)?
by Stasavage, David & Moyo, Dambisa
- 2123-2155 Poverty Comparisons Over Time and Across Countries in Africa
by Sahn, David E. & Stifel, David C.
- 2157-2168 Old Age and Poverty in Developing Countries: New Policy Challenges
by Lloyd-Sherlock, Peter
- 2169-2182 The Allocation of Publicly-Provided Goods to Rural Households in India: On Some Consequences of Caste, Religion and Democracy
by Betancourt, Roger & Gleason, Suzanne
- 2183-2198 Single Mothers in Russia: Household Strategies for Coping with Poverty
by Lokshin, Michael & Harris, Kathleen Mullan & Popkin, Barry M.
November 2000, Volume 28, Issue 11
- 1851-1874 Civic Education, Civil Society, and Political Mistrust in a Developing Democracy: The Case of the Dominican Republic
by Finkel, Steve E. & Sabatini, Christopher A. & Bevis, Gwendolyn G.
- 1875-1890 Demonstrated Benefits from Social Capital: The Productivity of Farmer Organizations in Gal Oya, Sri Lanka
by Uphoff, Norman & Wijayaratna, C. M.
- 1891-1906 Biting the Bullet: Civil Society, Social Learning and the Transformation of Local Governance
by Johnson, Hazel & Wilson, Gordon
- 1907-1925 Impediments and Innovation in International Rivers: The Waters of South Asia
by Crow, Ben & Singh, Nirvikar
- 1927-1944 Achieving Schooling for All: Budgetary Expenditures on Education in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia
by Colclough, Christopher & Al-Samarrai, Samer
- 1945-1959 Participatory Risk Mapping for Targeting Research and Assistance: With an Example from East African Pastoralists
by Smith, Kevin & Barrett, Christopher B. & Box, Paul W.
- 1961-1977 Rapid Rural Appraisal in Humid Tropical Forests: An Asset Possession-Based Approach and Validation Methods for Wealth Assessment Among Forest Peasant Households
by Takasaki, Yoshito & Barham, Bradford L. & Coomes, Oliver T.
- 1979-2003 Empirical Regularities in the Poverty-Environment Relationship of Rural Households: Evidence from Zimbabwe
by Cavendish, William
- 2005-2012 Markets, Institutions, and Forestry: The Consequences of Timber Trade Liberalization in Ecuador
by Southgate, Douglas & Salazar-Canelos, Pablo & Camacho-Saa, Carlos & Stewart, Rigoberto
- 2013-2027 Small States, Small Problems? Income, Growth, and Volatility in Small States
by Easterly, William & Kraay, Aart
October 2000, Volume 28, Issue 10
- 1719-1733 Local Environmental Control and Institutional Crowding-Out
by Cardenas, Juan Camilo & Stranlund, John & Willis, Cleve
- 1735-1749 Claim No Easy Victories: Evaluating the Pesticide Industry's Global Safe Use Campaign
by Murray, Douglas L. & Taylor, Peter Leigh
- 1751-1766 Grassroots-Based Rural Development Strategies: Ecuador in Comparative Perspective
by North, Liisa L. & Cameron, John D.
- 1767-1787 Rigorous Speculation: The Collapse and Revival of the North Korean Economy
by Noland, Marcus & Robinson, Sherman & Wang, Tao
- 1789-1803 The Political Economy of War and Peace in Afghanistan
by Rubin, Barnett R.
- 1805-1819 The Illusion of Stability: The Brazilian Economy Under Cardoso
by Amann, Edmund & Baer, Werner
- 1821-1835 Solving the Mystery of the AFRICA Dummy
by Englebert, Pierre
- 1837-1847 Knowledge Transfer Under Subcontracting: Evidence from Czech Firms
by Deardorff, Alan & Djankov, Simeon
September 2000, Volume 28, Issue 9
- 1543-1566 Latin America's New Economic Model: Micro Responses and Economic Restructuring
by Reinhardt, Nola & Peres, Wilson
- 1567-1582 Trade Liberalization and Industrial Development in Latin America
by Geske Dijkstra, A.
- 1583-1596 Structural Change and Labor Productivity Growth in Latin American Manufacturing Industries 1970-96
by Katz, Jorge
- 1597-1610 The Behavior of Manufacturing Firms Under the New Economic Model
by Macario, Carla
- 1611-1626 Corporate Strategies for FDI in the Context of Latin America's New Economic Model
by Mortimore, Michael
- 1627-1642 Maquila, Economic Reform and Corporate Strategies
by Buitelaar, Rudolf M. & Perez, Ramon Padilla
- 1643-1655 Small and Medium-Sized Manufacturing Enterprises in Latin America and the Caribbean Under the New Economic Model
by Peres, Wilson & Stumpo, Giovanni
- 1657-1672 New Economic Policies and the Diffusion of Machine Tools in Latin America
by Alcorta, Ludovico
- 1673-1688 The Impact of the New Economic Model on Latin America's Agriculture
by David, M. Beatriz De A. & Dirven, Martine & Vogelgesang, Frank
- 1689-1702 The New Economic Model and Marine Fisheries Development in Latin America
by Thorpe, Andy & Ibarra, Alonso Aguilar & Reid, Chris
- 1703-1717 Policy Directions for the New Economic Model in Latin America
by Ramos, Joseph
August 2000, Volume 28, Issue 8
- 1391-1407 Improving Policy Credibility: Is There a Case for African Monetary Unions?
by Guillaume, Dominique M. & Stasavage, David
- 1409-1419 Think Large and Act Small: Toward a New Paradigm for NGO Scaling Up
by Uvin, Peter & Jain, Pankaj S. & Brown, L. David
- 1421-1438 Linking Livelihoods and Conservation: A Conceptual Framework and Scale for Assessing the Integration of Human Needs and Biodiversity
by Salafsky, Nick & Wollenberg, Eva
- 1439-1460 Barriers to Participation of the Poor in South Africa's Land Redistribution
by Zimmerman, Frederick J.
- 1461-1479 Changing Customary Marine Resource Management Practice and Institutions: The Case of Sasi Lola in the Kei Islands, Indonesia
by Thorburn, Craig C.
- 1481-1497 Possibilities and Limitations to Cooperation in Small Groups: The Case of Group-Owned Wells in Southern India
by Aggarwal, Rimjhim M.
- 1499-1514 Surviving and Thriving: Differentiation in a Peri-Urban Community in Northern Albania
by Lawson, Colin W. & Allister McGregor, J. & Saltmarshe, Douglas K.
- 1515-1542 The Poverty and Heterogeneity Among Female-Headed Households Revisited: The Case of Panama
by Fuwa, Nobuhiko
July 2000, Volume 28, Issue 7
- 1145-1156 Introduction
by Grown, Caren & Elson, Diane & Cagatay, Nilufer
- 1157-1172 Engendering Foreign Direct Investment: Family Structure, Labor Markets and International Capital Mobility
by Braunstein, Elissa
- 1173-1190 Modeling the Effects of Trade on Women, at Work and at Home
by Fontana, Marzia & Wood, Adrian
- 1191-1210 Gender Segregation and Gender Bias in Manufacturing Trade Expansion: Revisiting the "Wood Asymmetry"
by Kucera, David & Milberg, William
- 1211-1230 Gender Inequality and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis
by Seguino, Stephanie
- 1231-1238 Secular Changes in the Gender Composition of Employment and Growth Dynamics in the North and the South
by Erturk, Korkut & Darity, William Jr.
- 1239-1248 Export Orientation and Female Share of Employment: Evidence from Turkey
by Ozler, Sule
- 1249-1268 International Capital Flows: Identifying the Gender Dimension
by Singh, Ajit & Zammit, Ann
- 1269-1283 Financial Crisis, Gender, and Power: An Analytical Framework
by Floro, Maria & Dymski, Gary
- 1285-1306 The Effects of the East Asian Crisis on the Employment of Women and Men: The Philippine Case
by Lim, Joseph Y.
- 1307-1326 Agricultural Technology, Risk, and Gender: A CGE Analysis of Mozambique
by Arndt, Channing & Tarp, Finn
- 1327-1340 Supply Response in an Agrarian Economy with Non-Symmetric Gender Relations
by Warner, James M. & Campbell, D. A.
- 1341-1345 Extra-Household Factors and Women Farmers' Supply Response in Sub-Saharan Africa
by Evers, Barbara & Walters, Bernard
- 1347-1364 The Social Content of Macroeconomic Policies
by Elson, Diane & Cagatay, Nilufer
- 1365-1378 The Political Economy of Women's Budgets in the South
by Budlender, Debbie
- 1379-1390 Gender Mainstreaming in Finance Ministries
by Sen, Gita
June 2000, Volume 28, Issue 6
- 983-999 Impact of Macroeconomic Change on Deforestation in South Cameroon: Integration of Household Survey and Remotely-Sensed Data
by Mertens, Benoit & Sunderlin, William D. & Ndoye, Ousseynou & Lambin, Eric F.
- 1001-1016 Can Sustainable Tropical Forestry be Made Profitable? The Potential and Limitations of Innovative Incentive Mechanisms
by Richards, Michael
- 1017-1030 From Social Negotiation to Contract: Shifting Strategies of Farm Labor Recruitment in Tanzania Under Market Liberalization
by Ponte, Stefano
- 1031-1051 The Distributional Effects of IMF Programs: A Cross-Country Analysis
by Garuda, Gopal
- 1053-1060 Editor's Introduction
by Adelman, Irma
- 1061-1073 Neoclassical Imagination and Financial Anarchy
by stretton, Hugh
- 1075-1086 Capital Market Liberalization, Economic Growth, and Instability
by Stiglitz, Joseph E.
- 1087-1100 The Minimal Conditions for a Financial Crisis: A Multiregional Intertemporal CGE Model of the Asian Crisis
by Adelman, Irma & Yeldan, Erinc
- 1101-1104 Financial Globalization
by Tobin, James
- 1105-1116 Taming Capital Flows
by Eichengreen, Barry
- 1117-1131 Is a Plumber or a New Financial Architect Needed to End Global International Liquidity Problems?
by Davidson, Paul
- 1133-1142 Strengthening the International Financial System: Key Issues
by Citrin, Daniel & Fischer, Stanley
May 2000, Volume 28, Issue 5
- 789-804 The Rise and Fall of the Washington Consensus as a Paradigm for Developing Countries
by Gore, Charles
- 805-822 Measuring Public Sector Capacity
by Polidano, Charles
- 823-841 The Challenge of Good Governance for the IMF and the World Bank Themselves
by Woods, Ngaire
- 843-860 Family Planning Programs, Socioeconomic Characteristics, and Contraceptive Use in Malawi
by Cohen, Barney
- 861-878 Type of Work Matters: Women's Labor Force Participation and the Child Sex Ratio in Turkey
by Berik, GUnseli & Bilginsoy, Cihan
- 879-891 Economic Reform, Structural Adjustment and Female Labor Force Participation in Buenos Aires, Argentina
by Cerrutti, Marcela
- 893-910 Indigenous Populations and Sustainable Development: Building on Indigenous Approaches to Holistic, Self-Determined Development
by Loomis, Terrence M.
- 911-927 Conservation Farming Projects in the Philippine Uplands: Rhetoric and Reality
by Cramb, R. A. & Garcia, J. N. M. & Gerrits, R. V. & Saguiguit, G. C.
- 929-944 The Impact of Participation on Sustainability: An Analysis of the Malawi Rural Piped Scheme Program
by Kleemeier, Elizabeth
- 945-967 Environmental Enforcement and Small Industries in India: Reworking the Problem in the Poverty Context
by Dasgupta, Nandini
- 969-982 Transition of Latecomer Firms from Technology Users to Technology Generators: Korean Semiconductor Firms
by Choung, Jae-Yong & Hwang, Hye-Ran & Choi, Jin-Ho & Rim, Myung-Hwan
April 2000, Volume 28, Issue 4
- 601-615 Democratic Governance and Sectoral Policy Reform: Tracing Linkages and Exploring Synergies
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W.
- 617-629 The Microfinance Schism
by Morduch, Jonathan
- 631-662 Interpreting Changes from the 1970s to the 1990s in African Agriculture Through Village Studies
by Wiggins, Steve
- 663-681 Trust, Networks and Norms: The Creation of Social Capital in Agricultural Economies in Ghana
by Lyon, Fergus
- 683-699 Deforestation and Cattle Ranching in the Brazilian Amazon: External Capital and Household Processes
by Walker, Robert & Moran, Emilio & Anselin, Luc
- 701-719 Common Property Rights and Land Reallocations in Rural China: Evidence from a Village Survey
by Kung, James Kai-sing
- 721-737 Should China be Promoting Large-Scale Enterprises and Enterprise Groups?
by Smyth, Russell
- 739-752 Decoupling China's Carbon Emissions Increase from Economic Growth: An Economic Analysis and Policy Implications
by Zhang, Zhongxiang
- 753-762 Unions' Role in Argentine and Chilean Pension Reform
by Ghilarducci, Teresa & Liebana, Patricia Ledesma
- 763-774 A VAT Revenue Simulation Model for Tax Reform in Developing Countries
by Jenkins, Glenn P. & Kuo, Chun-Yan
- 775-788 The Hazard of Moral Hazard: Untangling the Asian Crisis
by Chang, Ha-Joon
March 2000, Volume 28, Issue 3
- 401-407 Globalizing Agro-Food Systems in Asia: Introduction
by Thompson, Susan J. & Tadlock Cowan, J.
- 409-424 A Global Interpretation of the Rise of the East Asian Food Import Complex
by McMichael, Philip
- 425-442 New Zealand's Agro-Food Trade to Korea
by Stringer, Christina A.
- 443-455 Dismantling Statist East Asian Agricultures? Global Pressures and National Responses
by Burmeister, Larry L.
- 457-471 Consumer Segmentation and Changing Food Purchase Patterns in Nanjing, PRC
by Veeck, Ann & Veeck, Gregory
- 473-486 Oiling the Palms: Restructuring of Settlement Schemes in Malaysia and the New International Trade Regulations
by Fold, Niels
- 487-512 Food Firms and Food Flows in Japan 1945-98
by McDonald, Mary G.
- 513-530 Agri-Food Restructuring and Third World Transnationals: Thailand, the CP Group and the Global Shrimp Industry
by Goss, Jasper & Burch, David & Rickson, Roy E.
- 531-550 Eating More Beef: Market Structure and Firm Behavior in the Pacific Basin Beefpacking Industry
by Francis, Roderick
- 551-578 The Cotton Commodity Chain, Women, Work and Agency in India and Japan: The Case for Feminist Agro-Food Systems Research
by Ramamurthy, Priti
- 579-599 The Agrarian Origins of the Knitwear Industrial Cluster in Tiruppur, India
by Chari, Sharad
February 2000, Volume 28, Issue 2
- 197-219 Economic Growth and Human Development
by Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances & Ramirez, Alejandro
- 221-243 Credible Commitment and Success with Public Enterprise Reform
by Campos, Jose Edgardo & Esfahani, Hadi Salehi
- 245-263 Economic Policy and Power Relations in South Africa's Transition to Democracy
by Habib, Adam & Padayachee, Vishnu
- 265-282 Explaining Economic Liberalization in India: State and Society Perspectives
by Pedersen, JOrgen Dige
- 283-300 Export Success Against the Odds: A Vietnamese Case Study
by Hill, Hal
- 301-317 Globalization of Production: Insights from the Hard Disk Drive Industry
by Gourevitch, Peter & Bohn, Roger & McKendrick, David
- 319-331 Generating Disaggregated Poverty Maps: An Application to Vietnam
by Minot, Nicholas
- 333-346 Microcredit and the Poorest of the Poor: Theory and Evidence from Bolivia
by Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-meza, Jorge
- 347-363 'Green Gold'?: Burley Tobacco, Smallholder Agriculture, and Poverty Alleviation in Malawi
by Orr, Alastair
- 365-380 Fiscal Decentralization and Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations: A Cross-Country Analysis
by de Mello, Luiz Jr
- 381-400 Financial Determinants of Domestic Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Panel Data
by Ndikumana, Leonce
January 2000, Volume 28, Issue 1
- 1-20 Institutional Choice, Community, and Struggle: A Case Study of Forest Co-Management in Mexico
by Klooster, Daniel
- 21-39 Participation and Accountability at the Periphery: Democratic Local Governance in Six Countries
by Blair, Harry
- 41-55 Learning, Adjustment and Economic Development: Transforming Firms, The State and Associations in Chile
by Perez-Aleman, Paola
- 57-77 Back to Basics in Malaysia and Thailand: The Role of Resource-Based Exports in Their Export-Led Growth
by Reinhardt, Nola
- 79-98 Impact Assessment Methodologies for Microfinance: Theory, Experience and Better Practice
by Hulme, David
- 99-110 Systematic Client Consultation in Development: The Case of Food Policy Research in Ghana, India, Kenya and Mali
by Babu, Suresh Chandra & Brown, Lynn R. & McClafferty, Bonnie
- 111-128 Consequences of a Food Security Strategy for Economic Welfare, Income Distribution and Land Degradation: The Philippine Case
by Coxhead, Ian
- 129-142 The Politics of Liberalizing Zambia's Maize Markets
by Pletcher, James
- 143-153 Migrant Labor and Farm Technical Efficiency in Lesotho
by Mochebelele, Motsamai T. & Winter-Nelson, Alex
- 155-171 The Real Plan: Stabilization and Destabilization
by Cinquetti, Carlos A.
- 173-186 The Impact of Education, Income, and Mortality on Fertility in Jamaica
by Handa, Sudhanshu
- 187-196 Utilization of Outpatient Care in Egypt and its Implications for the Role of Government in Health Care Provision
by Nandakumar, A. K. & Chawla, Mukesh & Khan, Maryam
December 1999, Volume 27, Issue 12
- 2021-2044 Capitals and Capabilities: A Framework for Analyzing Peasant Viability, Rural Livelihoods and Poverty
by Bebbington, Anthony
- 2045-2060 Rice Paddy or Shrimp Pond: Tough Decisions in Rural Thailand
by Flaherty, Mark & Vandergeest, Peter & Miller, Paul
- 2061-2079 Community-Based Wildlife Management (CWM) in Tanzania: Are the Communities Interested?
by Songorwa, Alexander N.
- 2081-2098 841 Million Undernourished?
by Svedberg, Peter
- 2099-2122 Corporatism, Trade Liberalization and Sectoral Responses: The Case of Venezuela, 1989-99
by Corrales, Javier & Cisneros, Imelda
- 2123-2136 Placement and Outreach of Group-Based Credit Organizations: The Cases of ASA, BRAC, and PROSHIKA in Bangladesh
by Sharma, Manohar & Zeller, Manfred
- 2137-2154 Growth in China's Grain Production 1978-1997: A Disaggregate Analysis
by Yang, Hong
November 1999, Volume 27, Issue 11
- 1885-1889 Overview
by Ruel, Marie T. & Garrett, James L.
- 1891-1904 Are Urban Poverty and Undernutrition Growing? Some Newly Assembled Evidence
by Haddad, Lawrence & Ruel, Marie T. & Garrett, James L.
- 1905-1916 Urbanization, Lifestyle Changes and the Nutrition Transition
by Popkin, Barry M.
- 1917-1938 Some Urban Facts of Life: Implications for Research and Policy
by Ruel, Marie T. & Haddad, Lawrence & Garrett, James L.
- 1939-1953 The Political Economy of Urban Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa
by Maxwell, Daniel
- 1955-1975 Are Determinants of Rural and Urban Food Security and Nutritional Status Different? Some Insights from Mozambique
by Garrett, James L. & Ruel, Marie T.
- 1977-1991 Working Women in an Urban Setting: Traders, Vendors and Food Security in Accra
by Levin, Carol E. & Ruel, Marie T. & Morris, Saul S. & Maxwell, Daniel G. & Armar-Klemesu, Margaret & Ahiadeke, Clement
- 1993-2009 Good Care Practices Can Mitigate the Negative Effects of Poverty and Low Maternal Schooling on Children's Nutritional Status: Evidence from Accra
by Ruel, Marie T. & Levin, Carol E. & Armar-Klemesu, Margaret & Maxwell, Daniel & Morris, Saul S.
- 2011-2019 Does Geographic Targeting of Nutrition Interventions Make Sense in Cities? Evidence from Abidjan and Accra
by Morris, Saul S. & Levin, Carol E. & Armar-Klemesu, Margaret & Maxwell, Daniel & Ruel, Marie T.
October 1999, Volume 27, Issue 10
- 1735-1747 The end of the Asian Myth: Why were the Experts Fooled?
by Baer, Werner & Miles, William R. & Moran, Allen B.
- 1749-1768 Innovating with Infrastructure: How India's Largest Carmaker Copes with Poor Electricity Supply
by Gulyani, Sumila
- 1769-1786 India's Manufactured Exports: Comparative Structure and Prospects
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 1787-1801 Trade and Industrial Policy on an Uneven Playing Field: The Case of the Deciduous Fruit Canning Industry in South Africa
by Kaplan, David & Kaplinsky, Raphael