Copula bivariate probit models: with an application to medical expenditures
The bivariate probit model is frequently used for estimating the effect of an endogenous binary regressor (the "treatment") on a binary health outcome variable. This paper discusses simple modifications that maintain the probit assumption for the marginal distributions while introducing non-normal dependence using copulas. In an application of the copula bivariate probit model to the effect of insurance status on the absence of ambulatory health care expen- diture, a model based on the Frank copula outperforms the standard bivariate probit model.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murphy, Anthony, 2007.
"Score tests of normality in bivariate probit models,"
Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 374-379, June.
- Anthony Murphy, 2005. "Score Tests of Normality in Bivariate Probit Models," Econometrics 0512004, EconWPA.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Ehsan Latif, 2009. "The impact of diabetes on employment in Canada," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(5), pages 577-589.
- Prokhorov, Artem & Schmidt, Peter, 2009.
"Likelihood-based estimation in a panel setting: Robustness, redundancy and validity of copulas,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 93-104, November.
- Artem Prokhorov & Peter Schmidt, 2009. "Likelihood Based Estimation in a Panel Setting: Robustness, Redundancy and Validity of Copulas," Working Papers 09002, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- Murat K. Munkin & Partha Deb & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2006. "Bayesian analysis of the two-part model with endogeneity: application to health care expenditure," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 1081-1099.
- Murray D. Smith, 2005. "Using Copulas to Model Switching Regimes with an Application to Child Labour," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(s1), pages S47-S57, 08.
- Karen Smith Conway & Andrea Kutinova, 2006. "Maternal health: does prenatal care make a difference?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 461-488.
- Zimmer, David M. & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2006. "Using Trivariate Copulas to Model Sample Selection and Treatment Effects: Application to Family Health Care Demand," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 63-76, January.
- Michael T. French & Johanna C. Maclean, 2006. "Underage alcohol use, delinquency, and criminal activity," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(12), pages 1261-1281.
- Trivedi, Pravin K. & Zimmer, David M., 2007. "Copula Modeling: An Introduction for Practitioners," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 1(1), pages 1-111, April.
- Brigitte Dormont & Pierre-Yves Geoffard & Karine Lamiraud, 2009.
"The influence of supplementary health insurance on switching behaviour: evidence from Swiss data,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(11), pages 1339-1356.
- Dormont, Brigitte & Geoffard, Pierre-Yves & Lamiraud, Karine, 2009. "The influence of supplementary health insurance on switching behaviour : evidence from Swiss data," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1623, Paris Dauphine University.
- Lara Gitto & Domenico Santoro & Giuseppe Sobbrio, 2006. "Choice of dialysis treatment and type of medical unit (private vs public): application of a recursive bivariate probit," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(11), pages 1251-1256.
- Koenker, Roger & Yoon, Jungmo, 2009. "Parametric links for binary choice models: A Fisherian-Bayesian colloquy," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 120-130, October.
- Munkin, Murat K. & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2008. "Bayesian analysis of the ordered probit model with endogenous selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 334-348, April.
- Ziggy MacDonald & Michael A. Shields, 2004. "Does problem drinking affect employment? Evidence from England," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 139-155.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Murray D. Smith, 2003. "Modelling sample selection using Archimedean copulas," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 99-123, 06.
- Wilde, Joachim, 2000. "Identification of multiple equation probit models with endogenous dummy regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 309-312, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:econwp:029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.