Existenzgründerpotentiale unter Arbeitsuchenden: Empirische Evidenz auf der Basis des Mikrozensus
In April 1995, 5.3 million people in Germany were on the lookout for a new job opportunity. 177,000 or nearly 3% of those were searching for an opportunity to get self-employed. In this study the determinants of the lookout for selfemployment in lieu of wage work are investigated separately for East and West Germany. Using the 70 %-ZEW-sample of the ?Mikrozensus? of 1991, 1993 and 1995, there is evidence that the probability of the search for self-employment depends, among other factors like age, sex and education, on the status in the labour market. In 1991 in East Germany the probability of aspiring to self-employment was higher for the unemployed than for the employed and decreasing by the time. In West Germany it was higher for the employed than for the unemployed and decreasing as well. By 1995 there was no difference anymore. Higher unemployment rates since 1993 in combination with transition payments for the unemployed to start their own business can explain these findings.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-48, August.
- Lechner, Michael & Pfeiffer, Friedhelm, 1993.
" Planning for Self-Employment at the Beginning of a Market Economy: Evidence from Individual Data of East German Workers,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 111-28, June.
- Michael Lechner & Friedhelm Pfeiffer, 1992. "Planning for Self-Employment at the Beginning of a Market Economy: Evidence from Individual Data of East German Workers," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 42, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Lechner, Michael & Pfeiffer, Friedhelm, 1992. "Planning for self-employment at the beginning of a market economy: evidence from individual data of East German workers," ZEW Discussion Papers 92-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reize, Frank, 2000.
"Business start-ups by the unemployed -- an econometric analysis based on firm data,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 629-663, September.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reize, Frank, 1998. "Business Start-ups by the Unemployed - an Econometric Analysis Based on Firm Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-38, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1998.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 26-60, January.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1980. " Investment in Entrepreneurial Ability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(4), pages 437-48.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:5218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.