Mobile network interconnection and investments
Abstract In markets with competing interconnected networks like mobile telecommunication markets investments affect the investor’s and also any competitors’ profits. In a theoretical model it is shown that cost-reducing investments reduce the investor’s termination rates and increase competitors’ termination rates under the callingparty- network-pays regime. Moreover, investments increase off-net traffic from the investor’s network but also from competitors’ networks. Regulation changes the effect on competitors’ termination rates but all other effects remain the same or are strengthened. Empirical results support the theoretical findings concerning the investor’s termination rates and the findings on off-net traffic. Competitors’ termination rates decrease. The negative termination rate effect even outweighs the quantity effect in the competitors’ profit functions. Testing for a common regulation-investment effect provides evidence that the negative investment externality is not due to regulation.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vareda, João, 2007.
"Unbundling and Incumbent Investment in Quality Upgrades and Cost Reduction,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp526, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- João Vareda, 2007. "Unbundling and Incumbent Investment in Quality Upgrades and Cost Reduction," Working Papers 31, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Michael Carter & Julian Wright, 2003. "Asymmetric Network Interconnection," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 27-46, February.
- Peitz, Martin, 2005. "Asymmetric access price regulation in telecommunications markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 341-358, February.
- Ralf Dewenter & Justus Haucap, 2005. "The Effects of Regulating Mobile Termination Rates for Asymmetric Networks," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 185-197, September.
- Wright, Julian, 2002. "Access Pricing under Competition: An Application to Cellular Networks," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 289-315, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:09071. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.