The impact of physical attractiveness on the popularity of female tennis players in online media
The discussion about the impact of physical attractiveness on popularity of competitive athletes has received much attention from scholars as well as from media around the world. We provide new insights to this debate by estimating correlation-coefficients and regression-models to test whether and to which extent physical attractiveness of professional female tennis players affects their popularity in online media. Based on a sample of the top 100 WTA single ranking of one selected calendar week in 2011 we find that physical attractiveness increases significantly the popularity on Facebook, WTA news, Kicker.de, the homepage of the Tennis Life Magazine and Google.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 02 51 / 83-2 29 10
Fax: 02 51 / 83-2 83 99
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-muenster.de/io/en/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Poutvaara, Panu, 2006.
"The Looks of a Winner: Beauty, Gender and Electoral Success,"
Ratio Working Papers
104, The Ratio Institute.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Poutvaara, Panu, 2006. "The Looks of a Winner: Beauty, Gender and Electoral Success," IZA Discussion Papers 2311, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Niclas Berggren & Henrik Jordahl & Panu Poutvaara, 2007. "The Looks of a Winner: Beauty, Gender, and Electoral Success," CESifo Working Paper Series 2002, CESifo Group Munich.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Poutvaara, Panu, 2006. "The Looks of a Winner: Beauty, Gender and Electoral Success," Working Paper Series 671, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007.
"Talent and/or Popularity - What Does it Take to Be a Superstar,"
0074, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2012. "Talent And/Or Popularity: What Does It Take To Be A Superstar?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 50(1), pages 202-216, 01.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007. "Talent and/or Popularity - What Does it Take to Be a Superstar," Working Papers 0018, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA).
- Francesc Pujol & Pedro Garcia-del-Barrio, 2008. "Money Prizes and Media Value in Tennis: Who Leads the Spectacle?," IASE Conference Papers 0828, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Pedro Garcia-del-Barrio & Francesc Pujol, 2007. "Hidden monopsony rents in winner-take-all markets-sport and economic contribution of Spanish soccer players," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 57-70.
- Todd H. Kuethe & Mesbah Motamed, 2010. "Returns to Stardom: Evidence From U.S. Major League Soccer," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 11(5), pages 567-579, October.
- Erik E. Lehmann & Günther G. Schulze, 2007. "What does it take to be a star? The role of performance and the media for German soccer players," Discussion Paper Series 1, Department of International Economic Policy, University of Freiburg, revised Mar 2008.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:umiodp:62012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.