The impact of the Euro 2012 on popularity and market value of football players
High popularity and a high market value are important for a footballer's regular wage as well as advertising and sponsor contracts. Yet how can a football player improve his popularity and market value? The aim of this study is to examine whether a good performance during the 2012 European Football Championship has an impact on the increase of popularity in different online media and on market value and if so which specific performance variables are relevant for this. This study finds out that different Euro 2012 performance variables significantly influence the increase of popularity in selected online media and of market values. However, these performance variables mostly do not have the highest impact on the dependent variables.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 02 51 / 83-2 29 10
Fax: 02 51 / 83-2 83 99
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-muenster.de/io/en/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007.
"Talent and/or Popularity - What Does it Take to Be a Superstar,"
0018, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA).
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2012. "Talent And/Or Popularity: What Does It Take To Be A Superstar?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 50(1), pages 202-216, 01.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007. "Talent and/or Popularity - What Does it Take to Be a Superstar," Working Papers 0074, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Adler, Moshe, 2006. "Stardom and Talent," Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture, Elsevier.
- Claudio Lucifora & Rob Simmons, 2003. "Superstar Effects in Sport: Evidence From Italian Soccer," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 4(1), pages 35-55, February.
- Erik E. Lehmann & Günther G. Schulze, 2007. "What does it take to be a star? The role of performance and the media for German soccer players," Discussion Paper Series 1, Department of International Economic Policy, University of Freiburg, revised Mar 2008.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:umiodp:112012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.