Getting beer during commercials: adverse effects of Ad-Avoidance
This paper studies the impact of ad-avoidance behavior in media markets. We consider a situation where viewers can avoid advertisement messages. As the media market is a two-sided market, increased ad-avoidance reduces advertisers' value of placing an ad. We contrast two financing regimes, free-to-air and pay-TV. We find that increased avoidance opportunities decrease profits and entry in the free-to-air regime. In contrast, in the pay-TV regime, lower income from advertisements are compensated by higher subscription income leaving profits and the number of channels unaflected. Bypassing advertising messages affects welfare ambiguously.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.iwf.rw.fau.de/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2006.
"Price structure in two-sided markets: Evidence from the magazine industry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2004. "Price Structure in Two-sided Markets: Evidence from the Magazine Industry?," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-80, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Mark Armstrong, 2006. "Competition in two‐sided markets," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 668-691, 09.
- Gu, Yiquan & Wenzel, Tobias, 2009. "A note on the excess entry theorem in spatial models with elastic demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 567-571, September.
- Gu, Yiquan & Wenzel, Tobias, 2007. "A Note on the Excess Entry Theorem in Spatial Models with Elastic Demand," Ruhr Economic Papers 33, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Claude Crampes & Carole Haritchabalet & Bruno Jullien, 2005. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Crampes, Claude & Haritchabalet, Carole & Jullien, Bruno, 2006. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," IDEI Working Papers 374, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Mark Armstrong & Julian Wright, 2009. "Mobile Call Termination," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages 270-307, 06.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008. "Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004. "Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air," CEPR Discussion Papers 4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Choi, Jay Pil, 2006. "Broadcast competition and advertising with free entry: Subscription vs. free-to-air," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 181-196, June.
- Markus Reisinger & Ludwig Ressner & Richard Schmidtke, 2009. "TWO-SIDED MARKETS WITH PECUNIARY AND PARTICIPATION EXTERNALITIES -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 32-57, 03.
- Mangani, Andrea, 2003. "Profit and audience maximization in broadcasting markets," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 305-315, September.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2005. "Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 947-972.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2003. "Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis," Virginia Economics Online Papers 358, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Gu, Yiquan & Wenzel, Tobias, 2009. "Product Variety, Price Elasticity of Demand and Fixed Cost in Spatial Models," Ruhr Economic Papers 92, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Gu, Yiquan & Wenzel, Tobias, 2009. "Product variety, price elasticity of demand and fixed cost in spatial models," FAU Discussion Papers in Economics 03/2009, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Institute for Economics.
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004. "Programming and Advertising Competition in the Broadcasting Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 657-669, December.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, "undated". "Programming and advertising competition in the broadcasting industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1873, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Song, Minjae, 2009. "Do media consumers really dislike advertising? An empirical assessment of the role of advertising in print media markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 292-301, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)