Target Advertising and Market Transparency
This paper examines the effects of increased transparency over online news sources, e.g. due to news aggregators, on online news outlets and the advertising industry. The role of news aggregators is controversially discussed, where the discussion widely points on user side effect. The present paper widens the discussion on the advertising side and shows that aggregators can help to better target advertising messages to a more homogenous group of users and, in turn, may both benefit advertisers and news outlets.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.socialpolitik.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Schultz, 2002.
"Market Transparency and Product Differentiation,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2002-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Susan Athey & Joshua S. Gans, 2010. "The Impact of Targeting Technology on Advertising Markets and Media Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 608-13, May.
- George, Lisa M. & Hogendorn, Christiaan, 2012. "Aggregators, search and the economics of new media institutions," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 40-51.
- Stühmeier, Torben & Wenzel, Tobias, 2010.
"Getting beer during commercials: adverse effects of ad-avoidance,"
DICE Discussion Papers
02, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Stühmeier, Torben & Wenzel, Tobias, 2011. "Getting beer during commercials: Adverse effects of ad-avoidance," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 98-106, March.
- Stuehmeier, Torben & Wenzel, Tobias, 2009. "Getting beer during commercials: adverse effects of Ad-Avoidance," IWQW Discussion Paper Series 10/2009, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Lesley Chiou & Catherine Tucker, 2011. "How Does Content Aggregation Affect Users' Search for Information?," Working Papers 11-18, NET Institute, revised Oct 2011.
- Chandra, Ambarish, 2008. "Targeted Advertising: The Role of Subscriber Characteristics in Media Markets," MPRA Paper 7955, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004.
"Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008. "Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- Ganesh Iyer & David Soberman & J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2005. "The Targeting of Advertising," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(3), pages 461-476, May.
- Ben Elhadj-Ben Brahim, Nada & Lahmandi-Ayed, Rim & Laussel, Didier, 2011. "Is targeted advertising always beneficial?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 678-689.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:vfsc12:62021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.