Target Advertising and Market Transparency
This paper examines the effects of increased transparency over online news sources, e.g. due to news aggregators, on online news outlets and the advertising industry. The role of news aggregators is controversially discussed, where the discussion widely points on user side effect. The present paper widens the discussion on the advertising side and shows that aggregators can help to better target advertising messages to a more homogenous group of users and, in turn, may both benefit advertisers and news outlets.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.socialpolitik.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stühmeier, Torben & Wenzel, Tobias, 2011.
"Getting beer during commercials: Adverse effects of ad-avoidance,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 98-106, March.
- Stuehmeier, Torben & Wenzel, Tobias, 2009. "Getting beer during commercials: adverse effects of Ad-Avoidance," FAU Discussion Papers in Economics 10/2009, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Institute for Economics.
- Stühmeier, Torben & Wenzel, Tobias, 2010. "Getting beer during commercials: adverse effects of ad-avoidance," DICE Discussion Papers 02, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE), University of Düsseldorf.
- Schultz, Christian, 2004. "Market transparency and product differentiation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 173-178, May.
- Christian Schultz, 2002. "Market Transparency and Product Differentiation," CIE Discussion Papers 2002-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- George, Lisa M. & Hogendorn, Christiaan, 2012. "Aggregators, search and the economics of new media institutions," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 40-51.
- Ganesh Iyer & David Soberman & J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2005. "The Targeting of Advertising," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(3), pages 461-476, May.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008. "Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004. "Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air," CEPR Discussion Papers 4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ben Elhadj-Ben Brahim, Nada & Lahmandi-Ayed, Rim & Laussel, Didier, 2011. "Is targeted advertising always beneficial?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 678-689.
- Dirk Bergemann & Alessandro Bonatti, 2011. "Targeting in advertising markets: implications for offline versus online media," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 42(3), pages 417-443, 09.
- Chandra, Ambarish, 2008. "Targeted Advertising: The Role of Subscriber Characteristics in Media Markets," MPRA Paper 7955, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Susan Athey & Joshua S. Gans, 2010. "The Impact of Targeting Technology on Advertising Markets and Media Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 608-613, May.
- Lesley Chiou & Catherine Tucker, 2011. "How Does Content Aggregation Affect Users' Search for Information?," Working Papers 11-18, NET Institute, revised Oct 2011. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:vfsc12:62021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.