Protectionism in a liquidity trap
This paper studies the effects of protectionism as a business cycle instrument. In normal times, protectionism reduces international trade, distorts production and reduces output. However, in a liquidity trap protectionism lowers the real interest rate because inflation goes up while the nominal interest rate is stuck at the zero lower bound. This stimulates consumption and output.
|Date of creation:||2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julien Albertini & Arthur Poirier, 2015.
"Online Appendix to "Unemployment Benefit Extension at the Zero Lower Bound","
14-55, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Julien Albertini & Arthur Poirier, 2015. "Unemployment Benefit Extension at the Zero Lower Bound," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 18(4), pages 733-751, October.
- Le, Vo Phuong Mai & Minford, Patrick & Nowell, Eric, 2009. "Economic Policy: protectionism as an elite strategy," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/1, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Noah Williams & Andrew Levin & Alexei Onatski, 2005.
"Monetary Policy under Uncertainty in Micro-Founded Macroeconometric Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
478, Society for Computational Economics.
- Andrew T. Levin & Alexei Onatski & John Williams & Noah M. Williams, 2006. "Monetary Policy Under Uncertainty in Micro-Founded Macroeconometric Models," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2005, Volume 20, pages 229-312 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew T. Levin & Alexei Onatski & John C. Williams & Noah Williams, 2005. "Monetary policy under uncertainty in micro-founded macroeconometric models," Working Paper Series 2005-15, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Andrew T. Levin & Alexei Onatski & John C. Williams & Noah Williams, 2005. "Monetary Policy Under Uncertainty in Micro-Founded Macroeconometric Models," NBER Working Papers 11523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2009.
"When is the government spending multiplier large?,"
NBER Working Papers
15394, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gauti B. Eggertsson & Paul Krugman, 2012. "Debt, Deleveraging, and the Liquidity Trap: A Fisher-Minsky-Koo Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 127(3), pages 1469-1513.
- William T. Gavin & Benjamin D. Keen & Alexander W. Richter & Nathaniel A. Throckmorton, 2013.
"Global Dynamics at the Zero Lower Bound,"
Auburn Economics Working Paper Series
auwp2013-17, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Gavin, William T. & Keen, Benjamin D. & Richter, Alexander W. & Throckmorton, Nathaniel A., 2015. "The zero lower bound, the dual mandate, and unconventional dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 14-38.
- Nathaniel Throckmorton & Benjamin Keen & Alexander Richter & William Gavin, 2013. "Global Dynamics at the Zero Lower Bound," 2013 Meeting Papers 839, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- William T. Gavin & Benjamin D. Keen & Alexander Richter & Nathaniel Throckmorton, 2013. "Global dynamics at the zero lower bound," Working Papers 2013-007, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Larch, Mario & Lechthaler, Wolfgang, 2009.
"Why buy American'' is a bad idea but politicians still like it,"
Kiel Working Papers
1570, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Mario Larch & Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2011. "Why `Buy American' is a bad idea but politicians still like it," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(3), pages 838-858, August.
- Mario Larch & Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2010. "Why "Buy American" is a Bad Idea but Politicians still Like it," CESifo Working Paper Series 3207, CESifo Group Munich.
- Larch, Mario & Lechthaler, Wolfgang, 2016. "Buy National And The Business Cycle," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(05), pages 1196-1218, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwkwp:2042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.