The BIP trilogy (bipolarization, inequality and polarization): One saga but three different stories
Inequality, bi-polarization and polarization are related but distinct concepts aiming at analysing the income distribution. This paper first recalls the main differences between these three notions of inequality, bipolarization and polarization. It then shows that a close look at the impact of various income sources on these three types of indicators confirms that indeed they measure three different features of an income distribution. The effect of the different income components on inequality, bipolarization and polarization is analyzed via what is known as the Shapley de-composition and the empirical illustration is based on 2008 data for Luxembourg.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Vincent Hildebrand, 2004.
"The Wealth of Mexican Americans,"
Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers
116, McMaster University.
- Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Hildebrand, Vincent A., 2004. "The Wealth of Mexican Americans," IZA Discussion Papers 1150, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Deborah Cobb-Clark & Vincent A. Hildebrand, 2006. "The Wealth of Mexican Americans," CEPR Discussion Papers 519, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- F. Chantreuil & A. Trannoy, 1999.
"Inequality decomposition values : the trade-off between marginality and consistency,"
THEMA Working Papers
99-24, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Chantreuil, F. & Trannoy, A., 1999. "Inequality Decomposition Values: the Trade-Off Between Marginality and Consistency," Papers 99-24, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Olivier Bargain & Tim Callan, 2007.
"Analysing the Effects of Tax-benefit Reforms on Income Distribution: A decomposition Approach,"
WP197, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Olivier Bargain & Tim Callan, 2010. "Analysing the effects of tax-benefit reforms on income distribution: a decomposition approach," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Bargain, Olivier & Callan, Tim, 2007. "Analysing the Effects of Tax-Benefit Reforms on Income Distribution: A Decomposition Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 3078, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Bargain & Tim Callan, 2007. "Analysing the effects of tax-benefit reforms on income distribution : a decomposition approach," Working Papers 200713, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Bargain, Olivier & Callan, Tim, 2007. "Analysing the effects of tax-benefit reforms on income distribution: a decomposition approach," EUROMOD Working Papers EM5/07, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Olivier Bargain & Tim Callan, 2007. "Analysing the Effects of Tax-benefit Reforms on Income Distribution: A Decomposition Approach," Working Papers 200728, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Francesco Devicienti, 2010.
"Shapley-value decompositions of changes in wage distributions: a note,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 35-45, March.
- Francesco Devicienti, 2008. "Shapley-Value Decompositions of Changes in Wage Distributions: A Note," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 80, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2010. "Polarization Orderings Of Income Distributions," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(1), pages 47-64, 03.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2011:i:101-102:p:02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bénédicte H. Apouey, 2010. "On Measuring And Explaining Socioeconomic Polarization In Health With An Application To French Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(1), pages 141-170, 03.
- Abdelkrim Araar, 2008. "On the Decomposition of Polarization Indices: Illustrations with Chinese and Nigerian Household Surveys," Cahiers de recherche 0806, CIRPEE.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:36:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwedp:201249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.