The BIP Trilogy (bipolarization, inequality and polarization): One saga but three different stories
Inequality, bi-polarization and polarization are related but distinct concepts aiming at analysing the income distribution. This paper first recalls the main differences between these three notions of inequality, bipolarization and polarization and then suggests using the so-called Shapley decomposition to show that the various income sources have a different impact on these three types of indicators. Our empirical investigation, based on 2008 data for Luxembourg, shows in fact that, in the case of the so-called zero income Shapley decomposition, inequality in Luxembourg is strongly related to income from capital while bi-polarization is mainly due to the distribution of income from work and polarization to that of the income from work and transfers.
Volume (Year): 7 (2013)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2010. "Polarization Orderings Of Income Distributions," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(1), pages 47-64, 03.
- Francesco Devicienti, 2008.
"Shapley-Value Decompositions of Changes in Wage Distributions: A Note,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
80, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Francesco Devicienti, 2010. "Shapley-value decompositions of changes in wage distributions: a note," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 8(1), pages 35-45, March.
- Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Hildebrand, Vincent A., 2004.
"The Wealth of Mexican Americans,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1150, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Deborah Cobb-Clark & Vincent A. Hildebrand, 2006. "The Wealth of Mexican Americans," CEPR Discussion Papers 519, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Vincent Hildebrand, 2004. "The Wealth of Mexican Americans," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 116, McMaster University.
- Bargain, Olivier & Callan, Tim, 2007.
"Analysing the effects of tax-benefit reforms on income distribution: a decomposition approach,"
EUROMOD Working Papers
EM5/07, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Olivier Bargain & Tim Callan, 2010. "Analysing the effects of tax-benefit reforms on income distribution: a decomposition approach," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 8(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Bargain, Olivier & Callan, Tim, 2007. "Analysing the Effects of Tax-Benefit Reforms on Income Distribution: A Decomposition Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 3078, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Bargain & Tim Callan, 2007. "Analysing the effects of tax-benefit reforms on income distribution : a decomposition approach," Working Papers 200713, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Olivier Bargain & Tim Callan, 2007. "Analysing the Effects of Tax-benefit Reforms on Income Distribution: A decomposition Approach," Papers WP197, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Olivier Bargain & Tim Callan, 2007. "Analysing the Effects of Tax-benefit Reforms on Income Distribution: A Decomposition Approach," Working Papers 200728, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:36:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2011:i:101-102:p:02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chantreuil, F. & Trannoy, A., 1999.
"Inequality Decomposition Values: the Trade-Off Between Marginality and Consistency,"
99-24, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- F. Chantreuil & A. Trannoy, 1999. "Inequality decomposition values : the trade-off between marginality and consistency," THEMA Working Papers 99-24, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Abdelkrim Araar, 2008. "On the Decomposition of Polarization Indices: Illustrations with Chinese and Nigerian Household Surveys," Cahiers de recherche 0806, CIRPEE.
- Bénédicte H. Apouey, 2010. "On Measuring And Explaining Socioeconomic Polarization In Health With An Application To French Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(1), pages 141-170, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:201322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.