Assessing absolute and relative pro-poor growth, with an application to selected African countries
This paper proposes a multidimensional procedure for jointly assessing the absolute and relative pro-poorness of growth. It is also a procedure for testing whether poverty comparisons can be made over classes of indices that incorporate both absolute and relative views of poverty. Besides being robust to whether pro-poor judgements should be absolute or relative, the procedure is also robust to choosing over a class of weights to aggregate the impact of growth on the poor as well as over ranges of absolute and relative poverty lines. The test is applied to distributional changes in five middle- and four lower-income African countries, countries that have witnessed different impacts of growth in the last two decades.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001.
"Growth, inequality, and poverty : looking beyond averages,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2558, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001. "Growth, Inequality and Poverty: Looking Beyond Averages," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1803-1815, November.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 2003.
"Measuring pro-poor growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 93-99, January.
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos & Mathieu Audet & Paul Makdissi, 2007.
"Testing for Pro-poorness of Growth, with an Application to Mexico,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos & Mathieu Audet & Paul Makdissi, 2009. "Testing For Pro-Poorness Of Growth, With An Application To Mexico," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(4), pages 853-881, December.
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos & Mathieu Audet & Paul Makdissi, 2007. "Testing for pro-poorness of growth, with an application to Mexico," Cahiers de recherche 07-07, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- Chen, Shaohua & Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1994.
"Is Poverty Increasing in the Developing World?,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(4), pages 359-76, December.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2002.
"Growth Is Good for the Poor,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 195-225, September.
- Sami Bibi & Mustapha K. Nabli, 2009. "Income Inequality In The Arab Region: Data And Measurement, Patterns And Trends," Middle East Development Journal (MEDJ), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(02), pages 275-314.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwedp:201134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.