Integration durch Währungsunion? Der Fall der Euro-Zone
Old OCA theory recommends to unite homogenous countries so that their macroeconomic interrelations do not pose severe stabilisation problems. New OCA theory rightly criticizes the 1960s flavour of the old approach and believes in the endogenous emergence of an OCA if countries use the facilities of an integrated financial market for their catching-up. Whereas in theories of intertemporal optimisation single agents and national economies succeed to go from indebtedness to development, in EMU they were tempted live beyond their intertemporal budget constraint. Professional observers tended to tolerate high current account deficits and loss of competitiveness as temporary phenomena by relying on the Lawson Doctrine. Actually, some EMU countries could avoid insolvency only by monetising their balance of payment deficit.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.fzid.uni-hohenheim.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Josep Lluís CARRION-I-SILVESTRE & Mariam CAMARERO & Josep LLUÍS CARRION-I-SILVESTRE & Cecilio TAMARIT, .
"External Imbalances in a Monetary Union. Does the Lawson Doctrine Apply to Europe?,"
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2010. "External imbalances in a monetary union. Does the Lawson doctrine apply to Europe?," Working Papers 1006, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2010. "External imbalances in a monetary union. Does the Lawson doctrine apply to Europe?," Working Papers 10-09, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Daniel Gros & Carsten Hefeker, 2002.
"One Size Must Fit All: National Divergences in a Monetary Union,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(3), pages 247-262, 08.
- Daniel Gros & Carsten Hefeker, 2000. "One Size Must Fit All. National Divergences in a Monetary Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 326, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto & Spolaore, Enrico, 1995.
"Togetheror separately? Issues on the costs and benefits of political and fiscal unions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 751-758, April.
- Perotti, Roberto & Spolaore, Enrico & Alesina, Alberto, 1995. "Together or Separately? Issues on the Costs and Benefits of Political and Fiscal Unions," Scholarly Articles 4553017, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Paul de Grauwe & Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2005.
"Endogeneities of Optimum Currency Areas: What brings Countries Sharing a Single Currency Closer together?,"
Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers)
29, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2005. "Endogeneities of optimum currency areas: what brings countries sharing a single currency closer together?," Working Paper Series 0468, European Central Bank.
- Michael J. Artis, 2002.
"Reflections on the Optimal Currency Area (OCA) criteria in the light of EMU,"
69, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- M.J. Artis, 2003. "Reflections on the optimal currency area (OCA) criteria in the light of EMU," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 297-307.
- M.J. Artis, 2002. "Reflections on the Optimal Currency Area (oca) Criteria in the Light of EMU," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 193, Central Bank of Chile.
- Alberto F. Alesina & Andrea Stella, 2010.
"The Politics of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
15856, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 2012. "Economics of Monetary Union," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 9, number 9780199605576, March.
- Peter Spahn, 2011. "Die Euro-Verschuldung der Nationalstaaten als Schwachstelle der EWU," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer, vol. 91(8), pages 531-536, August.
- Giannone, Domenico & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2006.
"Trends and cycles in the euro area: how much heterogeneity and should we worry about it?,"
Working Paper Series
0595, European Central Bank.
- Domenico Giannone & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2005. "Trends and cycles in the Euro Area: how much heterogeneity and should we worry about it?," Macroeconomics 0511016, EconWPA.
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo, 2009.
"The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of the EMU and other Monetary Unions: An Overview of Recent Research,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7500, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roel Beetsma & Massimo Giuliodori, 2010. "The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of the EMU and Other Monetary Unions: An Overview of Recent Research," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 48(3), pages 603-41, September.
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008.
"Business Cycles in the euro Area,"
Working Papers ECARES
2008_040, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Domenico Giannone & Michele Lenza & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008. "Business Cycles in the Euro Area," NBER Working Papers 14529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2009. "Business Cycles in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 7124, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul De Grauwe, 2011. "A Fragile Eurozone in Search of a Better Governance," CESifo Working Paper Series 3456, CESifo Group Munich.
- Philip R. Lane & Barbara Pels, 2012.
"Current Account Imbalances in Europe,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2008. "European Economic and Monetary Integration, and the Optimum Currency Area Theory," European Economy - Economic Papers 302, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Schmitz, Birgit & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2009. "Current Account Imbalances and Financial Integration in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 7262, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:fziddp:572012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.