A system dynamics approach for modelling a lead-market-based export potential
For knowledge-intensive goods, foreign trade performance also depends on the quality of the technology. Important factors to consider are technological capa-bilities, various market factors which influence the chances of a country devel-oping a lead-market position, innovation-friendly regulation and the existence of internationally competitive complementary industry clusters. In order to model these aspects, various feedback mechanisms between these factors have to be taken into account, among them knowledge spillovers from the export success which lead to an erosion of a lead-market position over time. A system dynam-ics framework is used for a first implementation of a simulation model for wind energy technology exports from Germany. The empirical results show the ex-pected dynamics of the system and underline the importance of the various feedback loops.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Breslauer Straße 48, D-76139 Karlsruhe|
Web page: http://isi.fraunhofer.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1990.
"Trade, Knowledge Spillovers, and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mario Ragwitz & Claus Huber & Gustav Resch, 2007. "Promotion of renewable energy sources: effects on innovation," International Journal of Public Policy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1/2), pages 32-56.
- Jakob B. Madsen, 2008. "Innovations and manufacturing export performance in the OECD countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 143-167, January.
- Beise, Marian & Rennings, Klaus, 2005. "Lead markets and regulation: a framework for analyzing the international diffusion of environmental innovations," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 5-17, January.
- Reiche, Danyel & Bechberger, Mischa, 2004. "Policy differences in the promotion of renewable energies in the EU member states," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 843-849, May.
- Prabuddha Sanyal, 2004. "The role of innovation and opportunity in bilateral OECD trade performance," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 140(4), pages 634-664, December.
- Menz, Fredric C., 2005. "Green electricity policies in the United States: case study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(18), pages 2398-2410, December.
- Foxon, T. J. & Gross, R. & Chase, A. & Howes, J. & Arnall, A. & Anderson, D., 2005. "UK innovation systems for new and renewable energy technologies: drivers, barriers and systems failures," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(16), pages 2123-2137, November.
- Joachim Wagner, 2007.
"Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence from Firm-level Data,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 60-82, 01.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence fro Firm Level Data," International Trade 0504005, EconWPA.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level data," Working Paper Series in Economics 4, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005. "Exports and Productivity : A survey of the evidence from firm level data," HWWA Discussion Papers 319, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Maurseth, Per Botolf & Verspagen, Bart, 2002. " Knowledge Spillovers in Europe: A Patent Citations Analysis," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 531-45, December.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989.
"Quality Ladders And Product Cycles,"
152, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1988.
Working Papers Archives
1988001, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Branstetter, Lee G., 2001. "Are knowledge spillovers international or intranational in scope?: Microeconometric evidence from the U.S. and Japan," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 53-79, February.
- Albert Faber & Koen Frenken, 2008. "Models in evolutionary economics and environmental policy: Towards an evolutionary environmental economics," Innovation Studies Utrecht (ISU) working paper series 08-15, Utrecht University, Department of Innovation Studies, revised Apr 2008.
- Navaretti, Giorgio Barba & Tarr, David G, 2000. "International Knowledge Flows and Economic Performance: A Review of the Evidence," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Samuel, 1996.
"Trade in ideas Patenting and productivity in the OECD,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 251-278, May.
- Eaton, J. & Kortum, S., 1995. "Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity onn the OECD," Papers 34, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 1995. "Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity in the OECD," NBER Working Papers 5049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel Kortum & Jonathan Eaton, 1995. "Trade in ideas: patenting and productivity in the OECD," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mitchell, Catherine & Connor, Peter, 2004. "Renewable energy policy in the UK 1990-2003," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(17), pages 1935-1947, November.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Innovation, Technology Transfer, and the World Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(2), pages 253-266, April.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1996.
"Technology and Competitiveness,"
Working Papers Archives
1996548, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1993.
"User-Producer Interaction, Learning and Comparative Advantage,"
Working Papers Archives
1993490, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1995. "User-Producer Interaction, Learning and Comparative Advantage," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 243-56, February.
- Stefan Lachenmaier & Ludger Wößmann, 2006.
"Does innovation cause exports? Evidence from exogenous innovation impulses and obstacles using German micro data,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 317-350, April.
- Stefan Lachenmaier; Ludger Woessmann, 2004. "Does Innovation Cause Exports? Evidence from Exogenous Innovation Impulses and Obstacles Using German Micro Data," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 200, Econometric Society.
- Lachenmaier, Stefan & Wößmann, Ludger, 2006. "Does innovation cause exports? Evidence from exogenous innovation impulses and obstacles using German micro data," Munich Reprints in Economics 19482, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Beise, Marian, 2004. "Lead markets: country-specific drivers of the global diffusion of innovations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6-7), pages 997-1018, September.
- Bird, Lori & Bolinger, Mark & Gagliano, Troy & Wiser, Ryan & Brown, Matthew & Parsons, Brian, 2005. "Policies and market factors driving wind power development in the United States," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1397-1407, July.
- Szarka, Joseph, 2006. "Wind power, policy learning and paradigm change," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 3041-3048, November.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Michie, Jonathan, 1998. " Technical Change, Growth and Trade: New Departures in Institutional Economics," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 313-32, July.
- Saggi, Kamal, 2000.
"Trade, foreign direct investment, and international technology transfer : a survey,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2349, The World Bank.
- Kamal Saggi, 2002. "Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and International Technology Transfer: A Survey," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 17(2), pages 191-235, September.
- Jacobsson, Staffan & Bergek, Anna & Finon, Dominique & Lauber, Volkmar & Mitchell, Catherine & Toke, David & Verbruggen, Aviel, 2009. "EU renewable energy support policy: Faith or facts?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2143-2146, June.
- Katharine Wakelin, 1998. "The role of innovation in bilateral OECD trade performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(10), pages 1335-1346.
- Greenaway, David & Sousa, Nuno & Wakelin, Katharine, 2004. "Do domestic firms learn to export from multinationals?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 1027-1043, November.
- Pain, Nigel & Wakelin, Katharine, 1998. "Export Performance and the Role of Foreign Direct Investment," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(0), pages 62-88, Supplemen.
- Yingqi Wei & Xiaming Liu & Chengang Wang, 2008. "Mutual productivity spillovers between foreign and local firms in China," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(4), pages 609-631, July.
- Langniss, Ole & Wiser, Ryan, 2003. "The renewables portfolio standard in Texas: an early assessment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 527-535, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:fisisi:s32009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.