Evolutionary Model of Non-Durable Markets
Presented is an evolutionary model of consumer non-durable markets, which is an extension of a previously published paper on consumer durables. The model suggests that the repurchase process is governed by preferential growth. Applying statistical methods it can be shown that in a competitive market the mean price declines according to an exponential law towards a natural price, while the corresponding price distribution is approximately given by a Laplace distribution for independent price decisions of the manufacturers. The sales of individual brands are determined by a replicator dynamics. As a consequence the size distribution of business units is a lognormal distribution, while the growth rates are also given by a Laplace distribution. Moreover products with a higher fitness replace those with a lower fitness according to a logistic law. Most remarkable is the prediction that the price distribution becomes unstable at market clearing, which is in striking difference to the Walrasian picture in standard microeconomics. The reason for this statement is that competition between products exists only if there is an excess supply, causing a decreasing mean price. When, for example by significant events, demand increases or is equal to supply, competition breaks down and the price exhibits a jump. When this supply shortage is accompanied with an arbitrage for traders, it may even evolve into a speculative bubble. Neglecting the impact of speculation here, the evolutionary model can be linked to a stochastic jump-diffusion model.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaldasch, Joachim, 2011.
"Evolutionary model of an anonymous consumer durable market,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 390(14), pages 2692-2715.
- Joachim Kaldasch, 2013. "Evolutionary Model of a Anonymous Consumer Durable Market," Papers 1306.3395, arXiv.org.
- Bottazzi, G. & Sapio, S. & Secchi, A., 2005. "Some statistical investigations on the nature and dynamics of electricity prices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 355(1), pages 54-61.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Sandro Sapio & Angelo Secchi, 2004. "Some Statistical Investigations on the Nature and Dynamics of Electricity Prices," LEM Papers Series 2004/13, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Kaldasch, Joachim, 2015. "The Product Life Cycle of Durable Goods," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 1-17.
- Kaldasch, Joachim, 2011. "The Product Life Cycle of Durable Goods," EconStor Preprints 50530, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Joachim Kaldasch, 2011. "The Product Life Cycle of Durable Goods," Papers 1109.0828, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2015.
- Kaldasch, Joachim, 2011. "The product life cycle of durable goods," MPRA Paper 33174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaldasch, Joachim, 2011. "The experience curve and the market size of competitive consumer durable markets," MPRA Paper 33370, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joachim Kaldasch, 2011. "The Experience Curve and the Market Size of Competitive Consumer Durable Markets," EconStor Preprints 59749, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)