The bank lending channel in Turkey: Has it changed after the low inflation regime?
In this paper we aim to analyze the role of credit channel in the monetary transmission mechanism under different inflationary environments in Turkey covering the period 1986:1 - 2009:10. Our results suggest that traditional interest rate channel is only valid for the postinflation targeting period. This variable is also more effective monetary policy tool in terms of its impacts on economic activity in the both regimes. Credit shocks itself have significant power on economic activity and prices. However, the effect of monetary shocks on credit volume is very limited especially in the low inflation regime.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 211 81-15494
Fax: +49 211 81-15499
Web page: http://www.dice.hhu.de/en.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sims, Christopher A., 1992.
"Interpreting the macroeconomic time series facts : The effects of monetary policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 975-1000, June.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1992. "Interpreting the Macroeconomic Time Series Facts: The Effects of Monetary Policy," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1011, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992.
"The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-21, September.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989. "The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission," Working Papers 89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Working Papers 95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichenbaum, Martin, 1992. "'Interpreting the macroeconomic time series facts: The effects of monetary policy' : by Christopher Sims," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1001-1011, June.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1997.
"Monetary policy shocks: what have we learned and to what end?,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-97-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles L., 1999. "Monetary policy shocks: What have we learned and to what end?," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 65-148 Elsevier.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1998. "Monetary Policy Shocks: What Have We Learned and to What End?," NBER Working Papers 6400, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Morsink, James, 2000.
"A Peek Inside The Black Box: The Monetary Transmission Mechanism In Japan,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2435, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- By James Morsink & Tamim Bayoumi, 2001. "A Peek Inside the Black Box: The Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Japan," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 2.
- Tamim Bayoumi & James Morsink, 1999. "A Peek Inside the Black Box; The Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Japan," IMF Working Papers 99/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Erdem Basci & Özgür Özel & Cagri Sarikaya, 2008.
"The monetary transmission mechanism in Turkey: new developments,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Transmission mechanisms for monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 35, pages 475-499
Bank for International Settlements.
- Erdem Basci & Ozgur Ozel & Cagri Sarikaya, 2007. "The monetary transmission mechanism in Turkey : New developments," Working Papers 0704, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Peersman, Gert & Smets, Frank, 2001. "The monetary transmission mechanism in the euro area: more evidence from VAR analysis," Working Paper Series 0091, European Central Bank.
- Dejan Krusec, 2009. "The monetary transmission in the euro area: post-1999 data assessment," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(10), pages 983-988.
- Tomoya Suzuki, 2004. "Credit channel of monetary policy in Japan: resolving the supply versus demand puzzle," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(21), pages 2385-2396.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:dicedp:32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.