Who responds more to monetary policy, conventional banks or participation banks?
In this paper I investigate whether there is a systematic difference between conventional banks and participation banks in terms of their response to monetary policy shocks. For this purpose I look at the quarterly loan growth of commercial banks and participation banks in Turkish banking sector and see whether the lending channel of monetary policy differs depending on bank type. At the same time, I control for some bank specific variables, namely the log of real assets, the ratio of liquid assets to total assets and the ratio of equity to total assets. I find that participation banks show larger reaction to monetary policy. In terms of bank specific variables, banks with higher liquidity ratio tend to have higher loan growth, whereas banks with larger asset size have smaller loan growth
Volume (Year): 17 (2012)
Issue (Month): 33 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.esan.edu.pe/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Thalassinos, 2007. "Trade Regionalization, Exchange Rate Policies and EU-US Economic Cooperation," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 111-118.
- Burcu Aydin & Deniz Igan, 2012.
"Bank Lending in Turkey: Effects of Monetary and Fiscal Policies,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(5), pages 78-104, September.
- Burcu Aydin & Deniz Igan, 2012. "Bank Lending in Turkey: Effects of Monetary and Fiscal Policies," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(5), pages 78-104, September.
- Burcu Aydin & Deniz O Igan, 2010. "Bank Lending in Turkey; Effects of Monetary and Fiscal Policies," IMF Working Papers 10/233, International Monetary Fund.
- Catik, A. Nazif & Karaçuka, Mehmet, 2011.
"The bank lending channel in Turkey: Has it changed after the low inflation regime?,"
DICE Discussion Papers
32, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE), University of Düsseldorf.
- Abdurrahman Nazif Çatik & Mehmet Karaçuka, 2012. "The bank lending channel in Turkey: has it changed after the low-inflation regime?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(13), pages 1237-1242, September.
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Dang, Vinh & Kutan, Ali M., 2011.
"Implications of bank ownership for the credit channel of monetary policy transmission: Evidence from India,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2418-2428, September.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Vinh Dang & Ali M. Kutan, 2010. "Implications of bank ownership for the credit channel of monetary policy transmission: Evidence from India," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp988, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995.
"Bank regulation and the credit crunch,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 679-692, June.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivero, María Pía & Li, Yuan & Jeon, Bang Nam, 2011. "Competition in banking and the lending channel: Evidence from bank-level data in Asia and Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 560-571, March.
- Koray Alper & Timur Hulagu & Gursu Keles, 2012. "An Empirical Study on Liquidity and Bank Lending," Working Papers 1204, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Fatih Macit, 2012. "Does Bank Ownership Affect the Credit Channel of Monetary Policy?," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 58(2), pages 139-151.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2005. "Inside the bank lending channel," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1737-1759, October.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-41, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:joefas:0045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ESAN Ediciones)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.