Who responds more to monetary policy, conventional banks or participation banks?
In this paper I investigate whether there is a systematic difference between conventional banks and participation banks in terms of their response to monetary policy shocks. For this purpose I look at the quarterly loan growth of commercial banks and participation banks in Turkish banking sector and see whether the lending channel of monetary policy differs depending on bank type. At the same time, I control for some bank specific variables, namely the log of real assets, the ratio of liquid assets to total assets and the ratio of equity to total assets. I find that participation banks show larger reaction to monetary policy. In terms of bank specific variables, banks with higher liquidity ratio tend to have higher loan growth, whereas banks with larger asset size have smaller loan growth
Volume (Year): 17 (2012)
Issue (Month): 33 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.esan.edu.pe/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995.
"Bank regulation and the credit crunch,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 679-692, June.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1993. "Bank regulation and the credit crunch," Working Papers 93-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Abdurrahman Nazif Çatik & Mehmet Karaçuka, 2012. "The bank lending channel in Turkey: has it changed after the low-inflation regime?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(13), pages 1237-1242, September.
- Catik, A. Nazif & Karaçuka, Mehmet, 2011. "The bank lending channel in Turkey: Has it changed after the low inflation regime?," DICE Discussion Papers 32, University of Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-141, February.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015. "Specification tests in econometrics," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2005. "Inside the bank lending channel," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1737-1759, October.
- Burcu Aydin & Deniz Igan, 2012. "Bank Lending in Turkey: Effects of Monetary and Fiscal Policies," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(5), pages 78-104, September.
- Burcu Aydin & Deniz Igan, 2012. "Bank Lending in Turkey: Effects of Monetary and Fiscal Policies," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(5), pages 78-104, September.
- Burcu Aydin & Deniz O Igan, 2010. "Bank Lending in Turkey; Effects of Monetary and Fiscal Policies," IMF Working Papers 10/233, International Monetary Fund.
- Fatih Macit, 2012. "Does Bank Ownership Affect the Credit Channel of Monetary Policy?," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 58(2), pages 139-151.
- Olivero, María Pía & Li, Yuan & Jeon, Bang Nam, 2011. "Competition in banking and the lending channel: Evidence from bank-level data in Asia and Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 560-571, March.
- Koray Alper & Timur Hulagu & Gursu Keles, 2012. "An Empirical Study on Liquidity and Bank Lending," Working Papers 1204, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- E. Thalassinos, 2007. "Trade Regionalization, Exchange Rate Policies and EU-US Economic Cooperation," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 111-118.
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Dang, Vinh & Kutan, Ali M., 2011. "Implications of bank ownership for the credit channel of monetary policy transmission: Evidence from India," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2418-2428, September.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Vinh Dang & Ali M. Kutan, 2010. "Implications of bank ownership for the credit channel of monetary policy transmission: Evidence from India," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp988, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.