'Distorted gravity: The intensive and extensive margins of international trade' revisited ; an application to an intermediate Melitz model
With the extension of the standard Melitz Model from Ahn et al. , the important role of intermediaries in facilitating trade is now recognized. In this paper, we are going to expand Chaney's  approach to an Intermediate Melitz Model. By researching if Chaney's results still apply for an Intermediate Melitz Model, main results of Chaney are confirmed for the direct export model, but this is not so for the indirect export mode. Here, the elasticity of substitution still dampens the extensive margins; however, whether the dampening effect on the extensive margin still dominates the magnifying effect on the intensive margin is ambiguous. Also, the elasticities of trade ows are no longer larger, but rather smaller than in the Krugman Model. All results are economically meaningful.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/18500.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfonso Irarrazabal & Andreas Moxnes & Luca David Opromolla, 2013.
"The Margins of Multinational Production and the Role of Intrafirm Trade,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 121(1), pages 74 - 126.
- Irarrazabal, Alfonso & Moxnes, Andreas & Opromolla, Luca David, 2009. "The Margins of Multinational Production and the Role of Intra-firm trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 7145, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew T. Cole, 2011. "Distorted Trade Barriers," Working Papers 201105, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ahn, JaeBin & Khandelwal, Amit K. & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2011.
"The role of intermediaries in facilitating trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 73-85, May.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jaebin Ahn & Amit K. Khandelwal, 2010. "The Role of Intermediaries in Facilitating Trade," Working Papers id:2557, eSocialSciences.
- JaeBin Ahn & Amit K. Khandelwal & Shang-Jin Wei, 2010. "The Role of Intermediaries in Facilitating Trade," NBER Working Papers 15706, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Chaney, 2008. "Distorted Gravity: The Intensive and Extensive Margins of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1707-21, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:daredp:1109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.