Has the financial crisis eroded citizens' trust in the European Central Bank? Panel data evidence for the Euro area, 1999-2011
In the aftermath of the financial crisis trust, in the European Central Bank (ECB) has reached an historical low. Taking panel data and using a fixed effects DFGLS estimation for a 12–country sample over the time period 1999 to 2011 with a total of 312 observations, this paper detects a structural break in citizens’ trust in the ECB. The paper confirms that during the pre-crisis period, citizens’ trust in the ECB was driven by economic growth. In crisis time, however, trust in the ECB is both driven by inflation and unemployment.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz der Göttinger Sieben 3, 37073 Göttingen|
Web page: http://www.cege.wiso.uni-goettingen.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Betsey Stevenson & Justin Wolfers, 2011.
"Trust in public institutions over the business cycle,"
Working Paper Series
2011-11, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Betsey Stevenson & Justin Wolfers, 2011. "Trust in Public Institutions over the Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 281-287, May.
- Betsey Stevenson & Justin Wolfers, 2011. "Trust in Public Institutions over the Business Cycle," CESifo Working Paper Series 3389, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stevenson, Betsey & Wolfers, Justin, 2011. "Trust in Public Institutions over the Business Cycle," IZA Discussion Papers 5570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stevenson, Betsey & Wolfers, Justin, 2011. "Trust in Public Institutions over the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 8308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Betsey Stevenson & Justin Wolfers, 2011. "Trust in Public Institutions over the Business Cycle," CAMA Working Papers 2011-06, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Betsey Stevenson & Justin Wolfers, 2011. "Trust in Public Institutions over the Business Cycle," NBER Working Papers 16891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- ,, 2009. "Economics of Monetary Union," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 8, number 9780199563234, December.
- Etienne Farvaque & Muhammad Azmat Hayat & Alexander Mihailov, 2011.
"Who Supports the ECB? Evidence from Eurobarometer Survey Data,"
Economics & Management Discussion Papers
em-dp2011-04, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Etienne Farvaque & Muhammad- Azmat Hayat & Alexander Mihailov, 2012. "Who Supports the ECB? Evidence from Eurobarometer Survey Data," Working Papers hal-00995032, HAL.
- Eijffinger, S. & De Hann, J., 1995.
"The Political Economy of Central Bank Independence,"
9587, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Eijffinger, S-C-W & de Haan, J, 1996. "The Political Economy of Central-Bank Independence," Princeton Studies in International Economics 19, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Fran Tonkiss, 2009. "Trust, confidence and economic crisis," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 44(4), pages 196-202, July.
- Nannestad, Peter & Paldam, Martin, 1994. "The VP-Function: A Survey of the Literature on Vote and Popularity Functions after 25 Years," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 79(3-4), pages 213-45, June.
- Manfred Gärtner, 1997.
"Who wants the euro – and why? Economic explanations of public attitudes towards a single European currency,"
Springer, vol. 93(3), pages 487-510, December.
- Gartner, Manfred, 1997. "Who Wants the Euro--And Why? Economic Explanations of Public Attitudes towards a Single European Currency," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 93(3-4), pages 487-510, December.
- Felix Roth, 2009. "Does Too Much Trust Hamper Economic Growth?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 103-128, 02.
- Karl Kaltenthaler & Christopher J. Anderson & William J. Miller, 2010. "Accountability and Independent Central Banks: Europeans and Distrust of the European Central Bank," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48, pages 1261-1281, November.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Aninday Banerjee & Markus Eberhardt & J James Reade, 2010.
"Panel Estimation for Worriers,"
10-33, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cegedp:124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.