Specification Of A Model To Measure The Value Of Travel Time Savings From Binomial Data
Using nonparametric methods, the paper examines the specification of a model to evaluate the distribution of willingness-to-pay (WTP) for travel time savings from binomial choice data from a simple time-cost trading experiment involving four public transport modes. A formulation in preference space in terms of constant marginal utilities is rejected in favor of a formulation in log(WTP) space for each mode. Results further indicate that the log(WTP) distribution can be decomposed into an independent random variable and a linear index shifting the location of the log(WTP) distribution, which is useful for parametric modeling. The index strongly indicates that small time savings are valued less than large time savings for all four modes in this experimental choice situation. The sign for journey duration varies significantly between modes, which could be due to self-selection into modes.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton & D. L. McFadden, 2006.
"Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4418, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lewbel, Arthur & McFadden, Daniel & Linton, Oliver, 2011. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 170-188, June.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton & Daniel McFadden, 2001. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Arthur Lewbel & Daniel McFadden & Oliver Linton, 1997. "Estimating Features of a Distribution from Binomial Data," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 442, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Jul 2010.
- David A. Hensher, 2001. "Measurement of the Valuation of Travel Time Savings," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 71-98, January.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpur:0508008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.