Measuring Conditional Persistence in Time Series
The persistence properties of economic time series has been a primary object of investigation in a variety of guises since the early days of econometrics. This paper suggests investigating the persistence of processes conditioning on their history. In particular we suggest that examining the derivatives of the conditional expectation of a variable with respect to its lags maybe a useful indicator of the variation in persistence with respect to its past history. We discuss in detail the implementation of the measure. We present a Monte Carlo investigation of the suggested measure. We further apply the persistence analysis to real exchange rates.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: London E1 4NS|
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643, August.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999. "Nonparametric Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586115, August.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Vuong, Quang H, 1996. "Nonparametric Selection of Regressors: The Nonnested Case," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 207-219, January.
- Lavergne, P. & Vuong, Q., 1992. "Nonparametric Selection of Regressors : the Nonnested Case," Papers 9204, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Chortareas, Georgios E. & Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol, 2002. "Nonlinear mean reversion in real exchange rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 411-417, November.
- George Kapetanios & Yongcheol Shin, 2002. "GLS Detrending for Nonlinear Unit Root Tests," Working Papers 472, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Kapetanios, G., 1999. "Threshold Models for Trended Time Series," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9905, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qmw:qmwecw:wp474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicholas Owen)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.