An Intensity Based Non-Parametric Default Model for Residential Mortgage Portfolios
In April 2001 Swiss banks held over CHF 500 billion in mortgages. This important segment accounts for about 63\% of all the loan portfolios of Swiss banks. In this paper we restrict our attention to residential mortgages held by private clients, i.e. borrowers who finance their property by the loan and we model the probability distribution of the number of defaults using a non-parametric intensity based approach. We consider the time-to-default and, by conditioning on a set of predictors for the default event, we obtain a log-additive model for the conditional intensity process of the time-to-default, where the contribution of each predictor is described by a smooth function. We estimate the model by using a local scoring algorithm coming from the generalized additive model.
|Date of creation:||04 Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:||09 Sep 2002|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; figures: included. RiskLab report|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yongheng Deng & John M. Quigley, 2003.
"Woodhead Behavior and the Pricing of Residential Mortgages,"
8616, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Deng, Yongheng & Quigley, John M., 2004. "Woodhead Behavior and the Pricing of Residential Mortgages," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt85q0w8xj, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C. & Murteira, J.M.R., 2009.
"Estimation of default probabilities using incomplete contracts data,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 457-465, June.
- J. M. R. Murteira & Joao M. C. Santos Silva, 2000. "Estimation of Default Probabilities Using Incomplete Contracts Data," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1121, Econometric Society.
- Deng, Yongheng, 1997.
"Mortgage Termination: An Empirical Hazard Model with a Stochastic Term Structure,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 309-31, May.
- Yongheng Deng, . "Mortgage Termination: An Empirical Hazard Model with Stochastic Term Structure," Working Papers _002, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Kau, James B. & Keenan, Donald C., 1999. "Patterns of rational default," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 765-785, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpri:0209001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.