Fiscal competition in a transition economy
The paper analyses fiscal competition for mobile capital between identical regions in a transition country. A framework similar to Keen- Marchand (1997) is used to analyse welfare effects of regional competition. It is shown that in very early transition when the share of the old sector is overwhelming, consumers in a transition economy may be better off in a competitive equilibrium. The decision-makers, however, would prefere to coordinate their fiscal policies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qian, Yingyi & Roland, Gerard, 1998.
"Federalism and the Soft Budget Constraint,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1143-62, December.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1996.
"Government in Transition,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1783, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edwards, Jeremy & Keen, Michael, 1996.
"Tax competition and Leviathan,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 113-134, January.
- Wildasin, David E., 2003.
"Fiscal competition in space and time,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(11), pages 2571-2588, October.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle, 2000.
"Competition and Firm Performance: Lessons from Russia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
296, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Brown, J David & Earle, John S, 2000. "Competition And Firm Performance: Lessons From Russia," CEPR Discussion Papers 2444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George C. Tsibouris & Vito Tanzi, 2000. "Fiscal Reform Over Ten Years of Transition," IMF Working Papers 00/113, International Monetary Fund.
- Timothy Frye & Andrei Shleifer, 1996.
"The Invisible Hand and the Grabbing Hand,"
NBER Working Papers
5856, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keen, Michael & Marchand, Maurice, 1997.
"Fiscal competition and the pattern of public spending,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 33-53, October.
- Keen, M. & Marchand, M., . "Fiscal competition and the pattern of public spending," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1284, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- KEEN, Michael & MARCHAND, Maurice, 1996. "Fiscal Competition and the Pattern of Public Spending," CORE Discussion Papers 1996001, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zodrow, George R. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1986. "Pigou, Tiebout, property taxation, and the underprovision of local public goods," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 356-370, May.
- Guido Friebel, 2000.
"Why Russian Workers do not Move: Attachment of Workers through In-Kind Payments,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1376, Econometric Society.
- Friebel, Guido & Guriev, Sergei, 2000. "Why Russian Workers Do Not Move: Attachment Of Workers Through In-Kind Payments," CEPR Discussion Papers 2368, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guido Friebel & Sergei Guriev, 1999. "Why Russian Workers Do Not Move: Attachment of Workers Through In-Kind Payments," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 283, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gérard, 1996.
"The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gerard, 2000. "The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(1), pages 219-39, February.
- Micael Castanheira De Moura & Gérard Roland, 2000. "The optimal speed of transition: a general equilibrium analysis," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10011, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Maxim Boycko & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1993.
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(2), pages 139-192.
- Grosfeld, Irena & Kolenikov, Stanislav & Paltseva, Elena & Sénik-Leygonie, Claudia & Verdier, Thierry, 1999.
"Dynamism and Inertia on the Russian Labour Market: A Model of Segmentation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2224, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Irena Grosfeld & Claudia Senik-Leygonie & Thierry Verdier & Stanislav Kolenikov & Elena Paltseva, 1999. "Dynamism and Inertia on the Russian Labour Market: A Model of Segmentation," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 246, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jack High (ed.), 2001. "Competition," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1751.
- Clarida, Richard & Findlay, Ronald, 1994. "After Maastricht: Public Investment, Economic Integration and International Capital Mobility," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 61(243), pages 319-29, August.
- Mutsumi Matsumoto, 2000. "A Note on the Composition of Public Expenditure under Capital Tax Competition," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(6), pages 691-697, December.
- Desai, Raj M. & Goldberg, Itzhak, 2000. "The vicious circles of control - regional governments and insiders in privatized Russian enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2287, The World Bank.
- Solanko, Laura, 2001. "Fiscal competition in a transition economy," BOFIT Discussion Papers 4/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwppe:0209002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.