Markovian Quadratic Term Structure Models For Risk-free And Defaultable Rates
In this paper, a class of regular quadratic Gaussian processes is defined to characterize quadratic term structure models (QTSMs) in a general Markovian setting. The primary motivation for this definition is to provide a more general model for the quadratic term structure of the forward curve, while maintaining the analytical tractability of the traditional QTSMs. It is demonstrated that the tractability of QTSMs does not necessarily rely on the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck state processes used in their traditional definition. Rather, the crucial element that provides analytical solutions for the prices of zero-coupon bonds and their options is a so-called quadratic Gaussian property as defined in this paper. In order to retain this property for a general Markov process, it is shown that, under the regularity conditions, no jumps are allowed in the infinitesimal generator of the process. It is further shown that the coefficient functions defined in the quadratic Gaussian property can be determined by multi-variate Riccati equations with a unique admissible parameter set. The implications of this result for modeling the term structure of risk-free rates and defaultable rates are discussed.
|Date of creation:||31 Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; prepared on IBM PC - PC-TEX/UNIX Sparc TeX; to print on HP/PostScript/Franciscan monk; pages: 20; figures: included/request from author/draw your own. We never published this piece and now we would like to reduce our mailing and xerox cost by posting it.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leippold, Markus & Wu, Liuren, 2002.
"Asset Pricing under the Quadratic Class,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 271-295, June.
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 1999.
"Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions,"
NBER Working Papers
7105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 2000. "Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1343-1376, November.
- Dong-Hyun Ahn & Robert F. Dittmar, 2002. "Quadratic Term Structure Models: Theory and Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 243-288, March.
- Markus Leippold & Liuren Wu, 2002. "Design and Estimation of Quadratic Term Structure Models," Finance 0207014, EconWPA.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1999. "Modeling Term Structures of Defaultable Bonds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 687-720.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0303008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.