Block-diagonal representation of a dualistic agricultural economy and its application in formal modelling: the case of Bulgaria
The paper discusses some of the problems of subsistence agriculture in countries in transition and proposes a methodology for analysis. It demonstrates that approaches which ignore the dualistic agriculture structure cannot provide consistent estimates of the behavioural parameters of the total agricultural sector. The bias is analysed using stochastic simulation and it is concluded that the subsistence agricultural sector has to be explicitly modelled alongside commercial agriculture. This is achieved using the principle of a block diagonal representation of dualistic agriculture, which is then applied to Bulgaria. This allows efficient decomposition of the different effects and provides a reliable representation of the process of agricultural commercialisation. The effects of subsistence farming on overall agricultural performance are presented and interpreted within a Structural Change Agricultural Policy Analysis Model (SCAPAM). The place of subsistence agriculture in transition economies is found to be compatible with optimisation principles and it is concluded that subsistence agriculture plays the role of market clearing. Some extensions of the methodology are discussed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam Ozanne, 1999. "Perverse supply response in peasant agriculture: A review," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(2), pages 251-270.
- Paul Caskie, 2000. "Back to Basics: Household Food Production in Russia," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 196-209.
- Philip Kostov & John Lingard, 2004. "Modelling the effects of subsistence on Bulgarian agricultural performance," Computational Economics 0409002, EconWPA.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1998. "Market Structure and the Growth Process," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 1(1), pages 276-305, January.
- Sarris, Alexander H & Doucha, Tomas & Mathijs, Erik, 1999. "Agricultural Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe: Implications for Competitiveness and Rural Development," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 305-29, August.
- Seeth, Harm Tho & Chachnov, Sergei & Surinov, Alexander & Von Braun, Joachim, 1998. "Russian poverty: Muddling through economic transition with garden plots," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(9), pages 1611-1624, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpco:0409001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.