Financial Regulation in a Changing World: Lessons from the Recent Crisis
The current crisis is leading many to re-think the role of finance and how it snew. This paper reviews what was regarded as the conventional wisdom on financial regulation prior to the 2007 onset of the crisis, briefly recounts some of the main factors behind the events of the 2007-09 years, and then turns to lessons for regulatory reform. At some point in the 1990s, the financial systems of high-income countries seemed to be functioning well and withstood some significant shocks, yet by 2007 much had changed. However, the regulatory structure did not change in response, and in fact eased in such a way as to exacerbate the instability that was subsequently experienced. A key theme is that financial regulation needs to be more dynamic, taking account of financial innovations and how they affect the sector. No such approach to regulation seems possible without greater accountability for regulators and attention to the incentives for those in the sector and for those who regulate it.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Williamstown, MA 01267|
Phone: 413 597 2476
Fax: 413 597 4045
Web page: http://econ.williams.edu
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rocco Huang & Lev Ratnovski, 2009. "Why Are Canadian Banks More Resilient?," IMF Working Papers 09/152, .
- Philippon, Thomas & Reshef, Ariell, 2009.
"Wages and Human Capital in the U.S. Financial Industry: 1909-2006,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7282, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Philippon & Ariell Reshef, 2009. "Wages and Human Capital in the U.S. Financial Industry: 1909-2006," NBER Working Papers 14644, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, "undated".
"What Works in Securities Laws?,"
19491, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2006. "What Works in Securities Laws?," Scholarly Articles 27867135, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2003. "What Works in Securities Law?," NBER Working Papers 9882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerard Caprio & Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Edward Kane, 2008.
"The 2007 Meltdown in Structured Securitization: Searching for Lessons not Scapegoats,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2008-08, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Gerard Caprio & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Edward J. Kane, 2010. "The 2007 Meltdown in Structured Securitization: Searching for Lessons, not Scapegoats," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 25(1), pages 125-155, February.
- Caprio, Gerard, Jr. & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Kane, Edward J., 2008. "The 2007 meltdown in structured securitization : searching for lessons, not scapegoats," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4756, The World Bank.
- Gerard Caprio & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Edward Kane, 2008. "The 2007 Meltdown in Structured Securitization: Searching for Lessons not Scapegoats," Center for Development Economics 2008-03, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Barth,James R. & Caprio,Gerard & Levine,Ross, 2006.
"Rethinking Bank Regulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521855761, December.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Rüdiger FAHLENBRACH & René M. STULZ, "undated".
"Bank CEO Incentives and the Credit Crisis,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
09-27, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Rüdiger Fahlenbrach & René M. Stulz, 2009. "Bank CEO Incentives and the Credit Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15212, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fahlenbach, Rudiger & Stulz, Rene M., 2009. "Bank CEO Incentives and the Credit Crisis," Working Paper Series 2009-13, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2009. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2009.
"Finance and inequality : theory and evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4967, The World Bank.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008.
"This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
13882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2014. "This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 1065-1188, November.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises," CEMA Working Papers 595, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wil:wileco:2009-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Sheppard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.