Is the Canadian banking system really “stronger” than the U.S. one?
The Canadian banking system is considered one of the “best” in the world (Bordo et al., 2011). To examine this question we compare the risk-return trade-off of Canadian and U.S. banks in the context of market-based banking. We find that the sources of non-traditional income are actually more volatile in Canada, essentially because Canadian banks are more involved in trading and capital markets business lines than their U.S. peers. Even though U.S. banks are more exposed to securitization, which contributes to increase bank risk, our analysis does not allow us to conclude that the Canadian banking system is performing significantly better. On one hand, Canadian banks do better in downturns; on the other hand however, depending on the statistics, U.S. banks tend to benefit more from the transition to market-based banking.
|Date of creation:||23 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pavillon Lucien Brault, 101 rue Saint Jean-Bosco, Gatineau (Québec) J8Y 3G5|
Phone: (819) 595-3900
Fax: (819) 773-1747
Web page: http://www.repad.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Pennacchi, .
"Loan Sales and the Cost of Bank Capital,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
07-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- George Pennacchi, . "Loan Sales and the Cost of Bank Capital," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 7-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Liu, Ying & Papakirykos, Eli & Yuan, Mingwei, 2006. "Market Valuation and Risk Assessment of Canadian Banks," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 2(1).
- Hatice Uzun & Elizabeth Webb, 2007. "Securitization and risk: empirical evidence on US banks," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 11-23, January.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2009. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Christian Calmès, 2004.
"Regulatory Changes and Financial Structure: The Case of Canada,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(I), pages 1-35, March.
- Christian Calmès, 2004. "Regulatory Changes and Financial Structure: The Case of Canada," Staff Working Papers 04-26, Bank of Canada.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph M. Scalise, 1995.
"The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trips It's Been,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 55-218.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph Scalise, 1995. "The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-06, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Laetitia Lepetit & Emmanuelle Nys & Philippe Rous & Amine Tarazi, 2008.
"Bank income structure and risk: An empirical analysis of European banks,"
- Lepetit, Laetitia & Nys, Emmanuelle & Rous, Philippe & Tarazi, Amine, 2008. "Bank income structure and risk: An empirical analysis of European banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1452-1467, August.
- Laetitia Lepetit & Emmanuelle Nys & Philippe Rous & Amine Tarazi, 2008. "Bank income structure and risk: An empirical analysis of European banks," Post-Print hal-01098960, HAL.
- Angbazo, Lazarus, 1997. "Commercial bank net interest margins, default risk, interest-rate risk, and off-balance sheet banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 55-87, January.
- Calmès, Christian & Théoret, Raymond, 2010.
"The impact of off-balance-sheet activities on banks returns: An application of the ARCH-M to Canadian data,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1719-1728, July.
- Christian Calmès & Raymond Théoret, 2009. "The Impact of Off-Balance-Sheet Activities on Banks Returns: An Application of the ARCH-M to Canadian Data," RePAd Working Paper Series UQO-DSA-wp032009, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Christian Calmès & Ying Liu, 2005.
"Financial Structure Change and Banking Income: a Canada-U.S. Comparison,"
RePAd Working Paper Series
UQO-DSA-wp0302005, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Calmès, Christian & Liu, Ying, 2009. "Financial structure change and banking income: A Canada-U.S. comparison," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 128-139, February.
- Cardone-Riportella, Clara & Samaniego-Medina, Reyes & Trujillo-Ponce, Antonio, 2010. "What drives bank securitisation? The Spanish experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2639-2651, November.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2004.
"Competition and Financial Stability,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 453-80, June.
- Brent Ambrose & Michael LaCour-Little & Anthony Sanders, 2005. "Does Regulatory Capital Arbitrage, Reputation, or Asymmetric Information Drive Securitization?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 113-133, October.
- Charles Calomiris & Joseph Mason, 2004.
"Credit Card Securitization and Regulatory Arbitrage,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 5-27, August.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Joseph R. Mason, 2003. "Credit card securitization and regulatory arbitrage," Working Papers 03-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Rocco Huang & Lev Ratnovski, 2009. "Why Are Canadian Banks More Resilient?," IMF Working Papers 09/152, International Monetary Fund.
- Clark, Jeffrey A & Siems, Thomas F, 2002. "X-Efficiency in Banking: Looking beyond the Balance Sheet," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 987-1013, November.
- Anginer, Deniz & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Zhu, Min, 2012. "How does bank competition affect systemic stability ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5981, The World Bank.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Jason Allen & Ying Liu, 2007.
"Efficiency and economies of scale of large Canadian banks,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(1), pages 225-244, February.
- Jason Allen & Ying Liu, 2005. "Efficiency and Economies of Scale of Large Canadian Banks," Staff Working Papers 05-13, Bank of Canada.
- Stiroh, Kevin J. & Rumble, Adrienne, 2006. "The dark side of diversification: The case of US financial holding companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2131-2161, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pqs:wpaper:022013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Calmes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.