Does the World Bank have any impact on human development of the poorest countries? Some preliminary evidence from Africa
In an attempt to better understand the impact of the World Bank on human development in poor countries, we use cross-country data on African countries, for the 1990-2002 period, to examine this relationship. The coefficient estimates of our parsimonious fixed-effects models indicate that while loans and grants of the Bank have had a positive impact on some relatively short-term indicators of health and education in an average African country, there is little evidence to suggest that such loans and grants have helped these countries to consolidate on the short-term gains.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Ray, Debraj, 1991. "Why does asset inequality affect unemployment? A study of the demand composition problem," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 69-92, January.
- Wallich Christine I., 1995. "What's Right and Wrong with World Bank Involvement in Eastern Europe," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 57-94, February.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Ray, Debraj, 1986. "Inequality as a Determinant of Malnutrition and Unemployment: Theory," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(384), pages 1011-34, December.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Lancaster, Carol, 1999. "Aid Effectiveness in Africa: The Unfinished Agenda," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 487-503, December.
- Kilby, Christopher, 2000.
"Supervision and performance: the case of World Bank projects,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 233-259, June.
- Kilby, C., 1995. "Supervision and Performance : The Case of World Bank Projects," Discussion Paper 1995-45, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Burhop, Carsten, 2005. "Foreign assistance and economic development: a re-evaluation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 57-61, January.
- Gilbert, Christopher & Powell, Andrew & Vines, David, 1999. "Positioning the World Bank," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F598-633, November.
- William Easterly, 2003. "Can Foreign Aid Buy Growth?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 23-48, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2005-784. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.