Regulation and noncompliance : magnitudes and patterns for India's factories act
Noncompliance with regulations by enterprises is said to be rife in developing countries. Yet there is limited systematic evidence of the magnitude of noncompliance at the enterprise level. Making innovative use of two complementary data sources, this paper quantifies noncompliance for India's Factories Act without the question of illegality ever being raised directly with enterprises. The paper finds that more than twice as many firms are not complying as are complying. Further, the number of noncompliant firms is much larger than the number of firms adjusting out of the regulation. Thus noncompliance with the Factories Act is a key feature of the"missing middle"in India. The paper explores the main trends and patterns of noncompliance and highlights a number of key issues for further analytical and policy research.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haroon BHORAT & Ravi KANBUR & Natasha MAYET, 2012.
"Minimum wage violation in South Africa,"
International Labour Review,
International Labour Organization, vol. 151(3), pages 277-287, 09.
- Haroon Bhorat & Ravi Kanbur & Natasha Mayet, 2011. "Minimum Wage Violation in South Africa," Working Papers 11143, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Bhorat, Haroon & Kanbur, Ravi & Mayet, Natasha, 2011. "Minimum Wage Violation In South Africa," Working Papers 126534, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Lucas Ronconi, 2010. "Enforcement and Compliance with Labor Regulations in Argentina," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 63(4), pages 719-736, July.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974. "Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach," NBER Chapters,in: Essays in the Economics of Crime and Punishment, pages 1-54 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker, 1968. "Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169-169.
- Ravi KANBUR & Lucas RONCONI & Leigh WEDENOJA, 2013. "Labour law violations in Chile," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 152(3-4), pages 431-444, December.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Ronconi, Lucas & Wedenoja, Leigh, 2013. "Labor Law Violations in Chile," Working Papers 180090, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Aureo de Paula & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2006. "The Informal Sector," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001030, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Áureo de Paula & José A. Scheinkman, 2007. "The Informal Sector," NBER Working Papers 13486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aureo de Paula & Jose A Sheinkman, 2007. "The Informal Sector," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001663, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jose Scheinkman & Aureo de Paula, 2007. "The Informal Sector," 2007 Meeting Papers 117, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Aureo de Paula & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2007. "The Informal Sector," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-033, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allingham, Michael G. & Sandmo, Agnar, 1972. "Income tax evasion: a theoretical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 323-338, November.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Smith, Robert S, 1979. "Compliance with the Minimum Wage Law," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(2), pages 333-350, April.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Robert Smith, 1977. "Compliance with the Minimum Wage Law," Working Papers 478, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 1978. "On the Size Distribution of Business Firms," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 508-523, Autumn.
- Bedi, Jatinder S., 2007. "Discrepancies and validation of Indian manufacturing data," MPRA Paper 43036, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)