Agricultural trade and rural development in the Middle East and North Africa: recent developments and prospects
Despite petroleum's prominence in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), agriculture remains important to most to the region's economies. And more robust and more dynamic agricultural growth could significantly boost sustainable economic growth and rural development in those countries. An appropriate avenue for improving agricultural growth is to expand agricultural exports in MENA countries with appreciable-to-large agricultural sectors and comparative advantage in cereal grains, agricultural raw materials, fruits and vegetables, and many categories of livestock and dairy products. But high levels of protection in many MENA countries, especially for manufactures and some food products, contribute to overvalued exchange rates and a significant bias against agriculture. Trade liberalization and other economic reforms to promote agriculture and improve rural welfare in MENA might be pursued through regional economic cooperation, but should be guided as much as possible by the principles of"open regionalism"- under which trade concessions negotiated between regional trading partners could be extended unconditionally to all trading partners, including trading partners outside the region.
|Date of creation:||28 Feb 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reyes, Edna A. & Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances, 1989. "Linkages in Development: A Philippine Case Study," Working Papers WP 1989-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Martin, W. & Winters, L.A., 1995. "The Uruguay Round and the Developing Countries," World Bank - Discussion Papers 307, World Bank.
- Langhammer, Rolf J. & Hiemenz, Ulrich, 1990. "Regional integration among developing countries : opportunities, obstacles and options," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 416, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 1997.
"Economic implications for Turkey of a Customs Union with the European Union,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 861-870, April.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 1996. "Economic implications for Turkey of a customs union with the European Union," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1599, The World Bank.
- Krueger, Anne O & Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1988. "Agricultural Incentives in Developing Countries: Measuring the Effect of Sectoral and Economywide Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(3), pages 255-71, September.
- Deardorff, A.V. & Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M., 1996. "Some Economic Effects of the Free Trade Agreement Between Tunisia and the European Union," Working Papers 385, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Marcus Noland, 1995. "China and the International Economic System," Working Paper Series WP95-6, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Bautista, Romeo M. & DeRosa, Dean A., 1996. "Agriculture and the new industrial revolution in Asia:," TMD discussion papers 13, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rutherford, Thomas F. & Rutstrom, E.E. & Tarr, David, 1993. "Morocco's free trade agreement with the European community : a quantitative assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1173, The World Bank.
- Dean A. DeRosa, 1988. "Asian Preferences and the Gains from MFN Tariff Reductions," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 377-396, 09.
- Yeats, Alexander, 1996. "Export prospects of Middle Eastern countries : a post-Uruguay Round analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1571, The World Bank.
- de Melo, Jaime & Montenegro, Claudio & Panagariya, Arvind, 1992. "Regional integration, old and new," Policy Research Working Paper Series 985, The World Bank.
- Johnson, D. Gale, 1995. "The Limited but Essential Role of Government in Agriculture and Rural Life," 1994 Conference, August 22-29, 1994, Harare, Zimbabwe 183372, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- DeRosa, Dean A., 1995. "Regional trading arrangements among developing countries: the ASEAN example," Research reports 103, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Krueger, Anne O, 1974. "The Political Economy of the Rent-Seeking Society," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 291-303, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:1732. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.