DRGs: the link between investment in technologies and appropriateness
In this paper we investigate the relationship between the DRG system for hospital reimbursement and investment in technologies. We use a simple economic model where the reimbursement policy for treatments whose provision requires a sunk investment cost has an impact on both the decision whether to adopt the technology and many patients to treat with it. The optimal pricing policy involves a two-part tariff: a price equal to the marginal cost of the patient whose benefit of treatment equals the cost of provision, and a separate payment for the partial reimbursement of capital costs. Departures from this scheme, which are frequent in DRG tariff systems designed around the world, lead to a trade-off between the objective of making effective technologies available to patients and the need to ensure appropriateness in use.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dse.univr.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Ting & Ma, Ching-to Albert, 2013.
"Health insurance, treatment plan, and delegation to altruistic physician,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 85(C), pages 79-96.
- Ting Liu & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2012. "Health Insurance, Treatment Plan, and Delegation to Altruistic Physician," Department of Economics Working Papers 12-08, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Ching-to Albert MA & Ting Liu, 2011. "Health Insurance, Treatment Plan, and Delegation to Altruistic Physician," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2011-022, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Siciliani, Luigi, 2006. "Selection of treatment under prospective payment systems in the hospital sector," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 479-499, May.
- Rossella Levaggi & Michele Moretto, 2007.
"Investment in hospital care technology under different purchasing rules: a real option approach,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0046, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Rosella Levaggi & Moretto Michele, 2008. "Investment In Hospital Care Technology Under Different Purchasing Rules: A Real Option Approach," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 159-181, 04.
- Michele Moretto & Rosella Levaggi, 2004. "Investment in Hospital Care Technology under Different Purchasing Rules: A Real Option Approach," Working Papers 2004.75, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kamil Dybczak & Bartosz Przywara, 2010. "The role of technology in health care expenditure in the EU," European Economy - Economic Papers 400, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Rosella Levaggi & Michele Moretto & Paolo Pertile, 2010.
"Static and Dynamic Efficiency of Irreversible Health Care Investments under Alternative Payment Rules,"
2010.130, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Levaggi, R. & Moretto, M. & Pertile, P., 2012. "Static and dynamic efficiency of irreversible health care investments under alternative payment rules," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 169-179.
- Dranove, David & White, William D, 1994. "Recent Theory and Evidence on Competition in Hospital Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 169-209, Spring.
- Luigi Siciliani & Elín J. G. Hafsteinsdóttir, 2008.
"DRG prospective payment system: refine or not refine?,"
08/29, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Elin Johanna Gudrun Hafsteinsdottir & Luigi Siciliani, 2010. "DRG prospective payment systems: refine or not refine?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(10), pages 1226-1239.
- Schreyögg, Jonas & Bäumler, Michael & Busse, Reinhard, 2009. "Balancing adoption and affordability of medical devices in Europe," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 92(2-3), pages 218-224, October.
- Bos, Dieter & De Fraja, Gianni, 2002. "Quality and outside capacity in the provision of health services," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 199-218, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ver:wpaper:31/2012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Reiter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.