Cost Overrun and Auction Format in Public Works
We study the effect on cost overruns of auction formats (average bid as opposed to �first price rule) conditional on the entry mechanisms (open as opposed to restricted participation). The dataset is a panel of auctions held in the Italian Veneto region between 2004 and 2006. It includes small size public projects (with reserve price up to one million euros) in such sectors as road works and building maintenance. It is commonly believed that cost overruns are lower under average bid auctions relative to fi�rst price auctions. We fi�nd support to this belief only when participation to the auction is restricted.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dse.univr.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spagnolo, Giancarlo & Albano, Gian Luigi & Bianchi, Milo, 2006.
"Bid avarage methods in Procurement,"
8997, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Patrick Bajari & Robert S. McMillan & Steve Tadelis, 2003.
"Auctions Versus Negotiations in Procurement: An Empirical Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
9757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Tadelis, 2009. "Auctions Versus Negotiations in Procurement: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 372-399, October.
- Patrick Bajari & Robert McMillan & Steven Tadelis, . "Auctions versus Negotiations in Procurement: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 02007, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Francesco Decarolis, 2009.
"When the highest bidder loses the auction: theory and evidence from public procurement,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
717, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Francesco Decarolis, 2009. "When the Highest Bidder Loses the Auction: Theory and Evidence from Public Procurement," 2009 Meeting Papers 130, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Waehrer Keith, 1995. "A Model of Auction Contracts with Liquidated Damages," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 531-555, December.
- Aleix Calveras & Juan-Jose Ganuza & Esther Hauk, 2004.
"Wild Bids. Gambling for Resurrection in Procurement Contracts,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 41-68, 07.
- Aleix Calveras & Juan J. Ganuza & Esther Hauk, 2001. "Wild bids. Gambling for resurrection in procurement contracts," Economics Working Papers 553, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2001.
- Simon Board, 2007. "Bidding into the Red: A Model of Post-Auction Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(6), pages 2695-2723, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ver:wpaper:17/2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Reiter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.