Limited Liability and Mechanism Design in Procurement
In the presence of cost uncertainty, limited liability introduces the possibility of default in procurement with its associated bank-ruptcy costs. When financial soundness is not perfectly observable, we show that incentive compatibility implies that financially less sound contractors are selected with higher probability in any feasible mechanism. Informational rents are associated with unsound financial situations. By selecting the financially weakest contractor, stronger price competition (auctions) may not only increase the probability of default but also expected rents. Thus, weak conditions are suffcient for auctions to be suboptimal. In particular, we show that pooling firms with higher assets may reduce the cost of procurement even when default is costless for the sponsor.
|Date of creation:||20 Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 34 93 592 1203
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://pareto.uab.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burguet, Roberto & Ganuza, Juan-José & Hauk, Esther, 2012.
"Limited liability and mechanism design in procurement,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 15-25.
- Roberto Burguet & Juan-José Ganuza & Esther Hauk, 2009. "Limited Liability and Mechanism Design in Procurement," Working Papers 383, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Roberto Burguet & Juan-José Ganuza & Esther Hauk, 2009. "Limited Liability and Mechanism Design in Procurement," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 767.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Parlane, S., 1998.
"Procurement Contracts under Limited Liability,"
98/3, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Manelli, Alejandro M & Vincent, Daniel R, 1995.
"Optimal Procurement Mechanisms,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 591-620, May.
- Zheng, Charles Zhoucheng, 2001.
"High Bids and Broke Winners,"
Staff General Research Papers
12665, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Simon Board, 2007. "Bidding into the Red: A Model of Post-Auction Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(6), pages 2695-2723, December.
- Aleix Calveras & Juan-Jose Ganuza & Esther Hauk, 2004.
"Wild Bids. Gambling for Resurrection in Procurement Contracts,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 41-68, 07.
- Aleix Calveras & Juan J. Ganuza & Esther Hauk, 2001. "Wild bids. Gambling for resurrection in procurement contracts," Economics Working Papers 553, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2001.
- Waehrer Keith, 1995. "A Model of Auction Contracts with Liquidated Damages," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 531-555, December.
- Francesco Decarolis, 2009.
"When the highest bidder loses the auction: theory and evidence from public procurement,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
717, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Francesco Decarolis, 2009. "When the Highest Bidder Loses the Auction: Theory and Evidence from Public Procurement," 2009 Meeting Papers 130, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andreas R. Engel & Achim Wambach, 2006. "Public Procurement Under Limited Liability," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 96(1), pages 13-40, January-F.
- White, Michelle J, 1989. "The Corporate Bankruptcy Decision," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 129-51, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aub:autbar:767.09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xavier Vila)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.