On the gravitation and convergence of industry profit rates in Denmark, Finland, Italy and the US
The hypotheses of profit rates gravitating around or converging towards a common value is tested using Danish, Finnish, Italian and US data. Both hypotheses are rejected for all the countries considered. This is interpreted as the result of limitations to capital mobility and of persistent differentials in the innovative performance of industries.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Cantarane, 24 - I-37129 Verona|
Phone: +39 045 802 8095
Fax: +39 045 802 8529
Web page: http://www.dse.univr.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adelina Gschwandtner, 2004.
"Profit Persistence in the "Very" Long Run: Evidence from Survivors and Exiters,"
Vienna Economics Papers
0401, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Adelina Gschwandtner, 2005. "Profit persistence in the 'very' long run: evidence from survivors and exiters," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 793-806.
- Glick, Mark & Ehrbar, Hans, 1988. "Profit rate equalization in the U.S. and Europe: An econometric investigation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 179-201.
- Adelina Gschwandtner & Michael Hauser, 2008. "Modelling profit series: nonstationarity and long memory," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(11), pages 1475-1482.
- Valentina Meliciani & Franco Peracchi, 2004.
"Convergence in Per-capita GDP Across European Regions: A Reappraisal,"
CEIS Research Paper
58, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Valentina Meliciani & Franco Peracchi, 2006. "Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions: a reappraisal," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 549-568, September.
- Jesús Crespo-Cuaresma & Adelina Gschwandtner, 2003.
"The competitive environment hypothesis revisited: Nonlinearity, nonstationrity and profit persistence,"
Vienna Economics Papers
0316, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Adelina Gschwandtner, 2006. "The competitive environment hypothesis revisited: non-linearity, nonstationarity and profit persistence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(4), pages 465-472.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Adelina Gschwandtner, 2005.
"Tracing the dynamics of competition: Evidence from company profits,"
Vienna Economics Papers
0504, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Adelina Gschwandtner, 2008. "Tracing The Dynamics Of Competition: Evidence From Company Profits," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(2), pages 208-213, 04.
- Jack Glen & Kevin Lee & Ajit Singh, 2002.
"Corporate profitability and the dynamics of competition in emerging markets: a time series analysis,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp248, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Jack Glen & Kevin Lee & Ajit Singh, 2003. "Corporate profitability and the dynamics of competition in emerging markets: a time series analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages F465-F484, November.
- Brozen, Yale, 1971. "Bain's Concentration and Rates of Return Revisited," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(2), pages 351-70, October.
- Glen, Jack & Lee, Kevin & Singh, Ajit, 2001. "Persistence of profitability and competition in emerging markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 247-253, August.
- Goddard, J. A. & Wilson, J. O. S., 1999. "The persistence of profit: a new empirical interpretation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 663-687, July.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1996. "Financial Constraints and Investment: Methodological Issues and International Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 70-89, Summer.
- Lambson, V.E., 1989. "Industry Evolution With Sunk Costs And Uncertian Market Conditions," Working papers 8904, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Persefoni Tsaliki & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 1998. "Alternative Theories of Competition: evidence from Greek manufacturing," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 187-204.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Chen, Hong-Yuan, 1994. "Approximately Median-Unbiased Estimation of Autoregressive Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 187-204, April.
- Theodore P. Lianos & Vassilis Droucopoulos, 1993. "Convergence and Hierarchy of Industrial Profit Rates: The Case of Greek Manufacturing," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 25(2), pages 67-80, June.
- Glick, Mark & Ehrbar, Hans, 1990. "Long-run Equilibrium in the Empirical Study of Monopoly and Competition," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(1), pages 151-62, January.
- Mueller,Dennis C., 1986.
"Profits in the Long Run,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521306935, December.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis & Persefoni Tsaliki, 2005. "Marxian Theory of Competition and the Concept of Regulating Capital: Evidence from Greek Manufacturing," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 37(1), pages 5-22, March.
- Mario Pianta & Massimiliano Tancioni, 2008. "Innovations, wages, and profits," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 31(1), pages 101-123, September.
- Val Eugene Lambson, 1992. "Competitive Profits in the Long Run," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(1), pages 125-142.
- B. Burcin Yurtoglu, 2004. "Persistence of firm-level profitability in Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 615-625.
- John Goddard & David McMillan & John Wilson, 2006. "Do firm sizes and profit rates converge? Evidence on Gibrat's Law and the persistence of profits in the long run," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 267-278.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Exactly Median-Unbiased Estimation of First Order Autoregressive/Unit Root Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 139-65, January.
- Fabio D'Orlando, 2007. "A Methodological Note on Long-Period Positions," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(1), pages 17-26.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ver:wpaper:02/2010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Reiter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.