Persistence of firm-level profitability in Turkey
The dynamics of company profits for 172 of the largest manufacturing firms in Turkey are studied. A time-series analysis is used to estimate the long-run projected profits and firm-specific speed of adjustment parameters that measures the rate at which short-run rents are eroded. While persistent profitability differences across firms are observed, there is also a moderately quick erosion of rents except for the most highly profitable firms. Firm characteristics rather than industry effects account for the differences in permanent profits. Contrary to the widespread view that developing countries suffer from uncompetitive markets, the results in this paper suggest that the intensity of competition in Turkey is no less than in developed countries and similar to other developing countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glen, Jack & Lee, Kevin & Singh, Ajit, 2001. "Persistence of profitability and competition in emerging markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 247-253, August.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- B. Yurtoglu, 2000. "Ownership, Control and Performance of Turkish Listed Firms," Empirica, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 193-222, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:36:y:2004:i:6:p:615-625. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.