Corporate profitability and the dynamics of competition in emerging markets: a time series analysis
The paper presents time-series analyses of corporate profitability in seven leading developing countries (DCs) using the common methodology of the persistence of profitability (PP) studies and systematically compares the results with those for advanced countries (ACs). Surprisingly, both short- and long-term persistence of profitability for DCs are found to be lower than those for ACs. The paper concentrates on economic explanations for these findings. It also reports the results on the persistence of the two components of profitability - capital-output ratios and profit margins. These too raise important general issues of economic interpretation for PP studies which are outlined
|Date of creation:||Dec 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Singh, Ajit, 1998.
"The Asian Model: A Crisis Foretold?,"
24683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Whittington, G & Saporta, V & Singh, A, 1997. "The Effects of Hyper-Inflation on Accounting Ratios. Financing Corporate Growth in Industrial Economies," Papers 3, World Bank - International Finance Corporation.
- Amsden, Alice & Singh, Ajit, 1993.
"The optimal degree of competition and dynamic efficiency in Japan and Korea,"
54982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amsden, Alice H. & Singh, Ajit, 1994. "The optimal degree of competition and dynamic efficiency in Japan and Korea," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 941-951, April.
- Cubbin, John & Geroski, Paul A, 1987. "The Convergence of Profits in the Long Run: Inter-firm and Inter-industry Comparisons," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 427-42, June.
- Reder, Melvin W, 1982. "Chicago Economics: Permanence and Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 1-38, March.
- Singh, A., 1995.
"Corporate Financial Patterns in Industrializing Economies. A Coparative International Study,"
2, World Bank - International Finance Corporation.
- Singh, Ajit, 1994. "Corporate financial patterns in industrialising economies: a comparative international study," MPRA Paper 54936, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Waring, Geoffrey F, 1996. "Industry Differences in the Persistence of Firm-Specific Returns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1253-65, December.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Geroski, Paul A & Machin, Stephen & Walters, Christopher F, 1997. "Corporate Growth and Profitability," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 171-89, June.
- B. Burcin Yurtoglu, 2004. "Persistence of firm-level profitability in Turkey," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 615-625.
- Asplund, Björn Marcus & Nocke, Volker, 2000. "Imperfect Competition, Market Size and Firm Turnover," CEPR Discussion Papers 2625, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ajit Singh, 2002.
"Competition and competition policy in emerging markets: international and developmental dimensions,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp246, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ajit SINGH, 2002. "Competition And Competition Policy In Emerging Markets: International And Developmental Dimensions," G-24 Discussion Papers 18, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Patterson, K. D., 2000. "Bias reduction in autoregressive models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 135-141, August.
- Goddard, J. A. & Wilson, J. O. S., 1999. "The persistence of profit: a new empirical interpretation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 663-687, July.
- Glen, Jack & Lee, Kevin & Singh, Ajit, 2001. "Persistence of profitability and competition in emerging markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 247-253, August.
- Singh, A. & Hamid, J., 1992. "Corporate Financial Structure in Developing Countries," Papers 1, World Bank - International Finance Corporation.
- Geroski, Paul A & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "The Persistence of Profits: A European Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 375-89, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.