Backward/forward optimal combination of performance measures for equity screening
We introduce a novel criterion for performance measure combination designed to be used as an equity screening algorithm. The proposed approach follows the general idea of linearly combining existing performance measures with positive weights and the combination weights are determined by means of an optimisation problem. The underlying criterion function takes into account the risk-return trade-off potentially associated with the equity screens, evaluated on a historical and rolling basis. By construction, performance combination weights can vary over time, allowing for changes in preferences across performance measures. An empirical example shows the benefits or our approach compared to naive screening rules based on the Sharpe ratio.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia|
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tu, Jun & Zhou, Guofu, 2011. "Markowitz meets Talmud: A combination of sophisticated and naive diversification strategies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 204-215, January.
- Wermers, Russ, 2006. "Performance evaluation with portfolio holdings information," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 207-230, August.
- Victor DeMiguel & Lorenzo Garlappi & Raman Uppal, 2009. "Optimal Versus Naive Diversification: How Inefficient is the 1-N Portfolio Strategy?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(5), pages 1915-1953, May.
- Michaud, Richard O. & Michaud, Robert O., 2008. "Efficient Asset Management: A Practical Guide to Stock Portfolio Optimization and Asset Allocation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780195331912.
- Ballestero, E. & Gunther, M. & Pla-Santamaria, D. & Stummer, C., 2007. "Portfolio selection under strict uncertainty: A multi-criteria methodology and its application to the Frankfurt and Vienna Stock Exchanges," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(3), pages 1476-1487, September.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Francesco Lisi, 2009. "Comparing and selecting performance measures for ranking assets," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0099, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Massimiliano Caporin & Grégory M. Jannin & Francesco Lisi & Bertrand B. Maillet, 2014.
"A Survey On The Four Families Of Performance Measures,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 917-942, December.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Grégory M. Jannin & Francesco Lisi & Bertrand Maillet, 2014. "A Survey on the Four Families of Performance Measures," Post-Print hal-01243416, HAL.
- Farinelli, Simone & Ferreira, Manuel & Rossello, Damiano & Thoeny, Markus & Tibiletti, Luisa, 2009. "Optimal asset allocation aid system: From "one-size" vs "tailor-made" performance ratio," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 209-215, January.
- Manfred Gilli & Enrico Schumann, 2012. "Heuristic optimisation in financial modelling," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 193(1), pages 129-158, March.
- Manfred Gilli & Enrico Schumann, 2009. "Heuristic Optimisation in Financial Modelling," Working Papers 007, COMISEF.
- Sergio Ortobelli Lozza & Enrico Angelelli & Daniele Toninelli, 2011. "Set-Portfolio Selection with the Use of Market Stochastic Bounds," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(0), pages 5-24, November.
- Farinelli, Simone & Tibiletti, Luisa, 2008. "Sharpe thinking in asset ranking with one-sided measures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1542-1547, March.
- Farinelli, Simone & Ferreira, Manuel & Rossello, Damiano & Thoeny, Markus & Tibiletti, Luisa, 2008. "Beyond Sharpe ratio: Optimal asset allocation using different performance ratios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2057-2063, October.
- Bjorn Hagstromer & Jane Binner, 2009. "Stock portfolio selection with full-scale optimization and differential evolution," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(19), pages 1559-1571.
- Hiroshi Konno & Hiroaki Yamazaki, 1991. "Mean-Absolute Deviation Portfolio Optimization Model and Its Applications to Tokyo Stock Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(5), pages 519-531, May.
- Dowd, Kevin, 2000. "Adjusting for risk:: An improved Sharpe ratio," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 209-222, July.
- Thiemo Krink & Stefan Mittnik & Sandra Paterlini, 2009. "Differential evolution and combinatorial search for constrained index-tracking," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 172(1), pages 153-176, November.
- Thiemo Krink & Stefan Mittnik & Sandra Paterlini, 2009. "Differential Evolution and Combinatorial Search for Constrained Index Tracking," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 09032, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Mark Salmon & Soosung Hwang, 2001. "An Analysis of Performance Measures Using Copulae," Working Papers wp01-13, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Eling, Martin & Schuhmacher, Frank, 2007. "Does the choice of performance measure influence the evaluation of hedge funds?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2632-2647, September.
- Thiemo Krink & Sandra Paterlini, 2011. "Multiobjective optimization using differential evolution for real-world portfolio optimization," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 157-179, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2012_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.