Backward/forward optimal combination of performance measures for equity screening
We introduce a novel criterion for performance measure combination designed to be used as an equity screening algorithm. The proposed approach follows the general idea of linearly combining existing performance measures with positive weights and the combination weights are determined by means of an optimisation problem. The underlying criterion function takes into account the risk-return trade-off potentially associated with the equity screens, evaluated on a historical and rolling basis. By construction, performance combination weights can vary over time, allowing for changes in preferences across performance measures. An empirical example shows the benefits or our approach compared to naive screening rules based on the Sharpe ratio.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economiaEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thiemo Krink & Sandra Paterlini, 2011. "Multiobjective optimization using differential evolution for real-world portfolio optimization," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 157-179, April.
- Eling, Martin & Schuhmacher, Frank, 2007. "Does the choice of performance measure influence the evaluation of hedge funds?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2632-2647, September.
- Hiroshi Konno & Hiroaki Yamazaki, 1991. "Mean-Absolute Deviation Portfolio Optimization Model and Its Applications to Tokyo Stock Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(5), pages 519-531, May.
- Dowd, Kevin, 2000. "Adjusting for risk:: An improved Sharpe ratio," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 209-222, July.
- Bjorn Hagstromer & Jane Binner, 2009. "Stock portfolio selection with full-scale optimization and differential evolution," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(19), pages 1559-1571.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Francesco Lisi, 2009. "Comparing and selecting performance measures for ranking assets," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0099, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Farinelli, Simone & Ferreira, Manuel & Rossello, Damiano & Thoeny, Markus & Tibiletti, Luisa, 2009. "Optimal asset allocation aid system: From "one-size" vs "tailor-made" performance ratio," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 209-215, January.
- Ballestero, E. & Gunther, M. & Pla-Santamaria, D. & Stummer, C., 2007. "Portfolio selection under strict uncertainty: A multi-criteria methodology and its application to the Frankfurt and Vienna Stock Exchanges," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(3), pages 1476-1487, September.
- Manfred Gilli & Enrico Schumann, 2009. "Heuristic Optimisation in Financial Modelling," Working Papers 007, COMISEF.
- Farinelli, Simone & Ferreira, Manuel & Rossello, Damiano & Thoeny, Markus & Tibiletti, Luisa, 2008. "Beyond Sharpe ratio: Optimal asset allocation using different performance ratios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2057-2063, October.
- Thiemo Krink & Stefan Mittnik & Sandra Paterlini, 2009. "Differential Evolution and Combinatorial Search for Constrained Index Tracking," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 09032, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Mark Salmon & Soosung Hwang, 2001. "An Analysis of Performance Measures Using Copulae," Working Papers wp01-13, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2012_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.