Forecasting Time Series with Long Memory and Level Shifts, A Bayesian Approach
Recent studies have showed that it is troublesome, in practice, to distinguish between long memory and nonlinear processes. Therefore, it is of obvious interest to try to capture both features of long memory and non-linearity into a single time series model to be able to assess their relative importance. In this paper we put forward such a model, where we combine the features of long memory and Markov nonlinearity. A Markov Chain Monte Carlo algorithm is proposed to estimate the model and evaluate its forecasting performance using Bayesian predictive densities. The resulting forecasts are a significant improvement over those obtained by the linear long memory and Markov switching models.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia|
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boldin Michael D., 1996. "A Check on the Robustness of Hamilton's Markov Switching Model Approach to the Economic Analysis of the Business Cycle," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-14, April.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Albert, James H & Chib, Siddhartha, 1993. "Bayes Inference via Gibbs Sampling of Autoregressive Time Series Subject to Markov Mean and Variance Shifts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Inoue, Atsushi, 2001.
"Long memory and regime switching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 131-159, November.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joann, 2001. "Memory and infrequent breaks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 29-41, January.
- Andersson, Michael K. & Eklund, Bruno & Lyhagen, Johan, 1999.
"A simple linear time series model with misleading nonlinear properties,"
Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 281-284, December.
- Andersson, Michael K. & Eklund, Bruno & Lyhagen, Johan, 1999. "A Simple Linear Time Series Model with Misleading Nonlinear Properties," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 300, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-384, March.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999.
"A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 161-165, February.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998. "A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 237, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2007_03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.