How do Adolescents Spell Time Use?
We investigate how household disadvantage affects the time use of 15-18 year-olds using 2003- 2006 data from the American Time Use Survey. Applying competing-risk hazard models, we distinguish between the incidence and duration of activities and incorporate the daily time constraint. We find that teens living in disadvantaged households spend less time in nonclassroom schooling activities than other teens. Girls spend some of this time in work activities, suggesting they are taking on adult roles. However we find more evidence of substitution into unsupervised activities, suggesting that it may be less structured environments that reduce educational investment.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.business.vcu.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charlene Kalenkoski & Sabrina Pabilonia, 2009. "Does Working While in High School Reduce U.S. Study Time?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 93(1), pages 117-121, August.
- John H. Tyler, 2003. "Using State Child Labor Laws to Identify the Effect of School-Year Work on High School Achievement," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 353-380, April.
- Gerald S. Oettinger, 1999. "Does high school employment affect high school academic performance?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(1), pages 136-151, October.
- Sabrina Wulff Pabilonia & Charlene Marie Kalenkoski, 2009. "Time to Work or Time to Play: The Effect of Student Employment on Homework, Housework, Screen Time, and Sleep," Working Papers 423, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1995.
"Is High School Employment Consumption or Investment?,"
NBER Working Papers
5030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1997. "Is High School Employment Consumption or Investment?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(4), pages 735-76, October.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1999. "The Timing of Work over Time," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(452), pages 37-66, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vcu:wpaper:0904. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oleg Korenok)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.