Non-Price Determinants of Automotive Demand: Restyling Matters Most
This paper analyzes market share changes in automobile and light truck submarkets. We find that new product, as measured by restyling, represents the most consistent, dominant determinant of demand. On average a ten percent reduction in relative price would yield only one-tenth the market share impact of a restyling. Alternatively, one would have to double one’s relative advertising expenditures to match the impact of a restyling. Several demand determinants not previously modeled, including rebranding and warranty curtailments, were detrimental to domestic manufacturer market shares. Safety appliance adoptions and changes in vehicle reliability had minimal impact on demand.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Journal of Business Research|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Box 844000, Richmond, VA 23284-4000|
Web page: http://www.business.vcu.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCarthy, Patrick S, 1996. "Market Price and Income Elasticities of New Vehicles Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 543-547, August.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1981. "Departures from marginal-cost pricing in the American automobile industry : Estimates for 1977-1978," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 201-227, November.
- Chang, Dae Ryun & Cho, Hang, 2008. "Organizational memory influences new product success," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 13-23, January.
- Reilly, Robert J & Hoffer, George E, 1983. "Will Retarding the Information Flow on Automobile Recalls Affect Consumer Demand?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(3), pages 444-447, July.
- Kim, Chung Koo, 1996. "The interaction between price and long-run variables in a multinational brand market," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-14, September.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July.
- Nakata, Cheryl & Im, Subin & Park, Heungsoo & Ha, Young-Won, 2006. "Antecedents and consequence of Korean and Japanese new product advantage," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 28-36, January.
- Meghan Busse & Jorge Silva-Risso & Florian Zettelmeyer, 2006. "$1,000 Cash Back: The Pass-Through of Auto Manufacturer Promotions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1253-1270, September.
- Kenneth E. Train & Clifford Winston, 2007. "Vehicle Choice Behavior And The Declining Market Share Of U.S. Automakers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1469-1496, November.
- Carbonell, Pilar & Rodriguez, Ana I., 2006. "Designing teams for speedy product development: The moderating effect of technological complexity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 225-232, February.
- Kwoka, John E, Jr, 1993. "The Sales and Competitive Effects of Styling and Advertising Practices in the U.S. Auto Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 649-656, November.
- Devavrat Purohit, 1992. "Exploring the Relationship Between the Markets for New and Used Durable Goods: The Case of Automobiles," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(2), pages 154-167.
- Boulding, William & Purohit, Devavrat, 1996. " The Price of Safety," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 12-25, June.
- Delre, S.A. & Jager, W. & Bijmolt, T.H.A. & Janssen, M.A., 2007. "Targeting and timing promotional activities: An agent-based model for the takeoff of new products," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(8), pages 826-835, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vcu:wpaper:0903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oleg Korenok)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.