Price Flexibility and Debt Dynamics in a High Order AS-AD Model
In this paper we reconsider extensions and modifications of earlier work on a disequilibrium model of AS-AD growth. Our dynamic model exhibits more or less sluggishly adjusting prices and quantities, Keynesian demand rationing and fluctuating capacity utilization for both labor and capital. Firms use debt (and pure profits) to finance their investment expenditures. We first prove that the resulting 7D core dynamics are convergent (broadly speaking) for low adjustment speeds. We then demonstrate partly analytically and partly numerically that their interior steady state will lose asymptotic stability by way of Hopf bifurcations when relevant adjustment speeds are made sufficiently large. This holds in particular for debt deflation, where falling price levels (caused by price flexibility that is sufficiently high) cause significantly increasing real debt, falling investment and shrinking economic activity. This deepens the deflationary process already under way. Such an instability result even occurs in the case where accompanying real wage increases would support economic stability.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2000|
|Publication status:||Published as: Chiarella, C., Flaschel, P. and Semmler, W., 2001, "Price Flexibility and Debt Dynamics in a High Order AS-AD Model", Central European Journal of Operation Research, 9, 119-145.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.uts.edu.au/about/uts-business-school/finance
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiarella,Carl & Flaschel,Peter, 2000.
"The Dynamics of Keynesian Monetary Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521643511, December.
- Chiarella, Carl & Flaschel, Peter & Wells, Graeme, 2003. "The Dynamics Of Keynesian Monetary Growth," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 473-475, June.
- Chiarella,Carl & Flaschel,Peter, 2011. "The Dynamics of Keynesian Monetary Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521180184, December.
- Robert Becker & Edwin Burmeister (ed.), 1990. "Growth Theory," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 534.
- Gene M. Grossman (ed.), 1996. "Economic Growth," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 553.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:wpaper:109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.