Foreign Direct Investment, Non-traded Goods and Real Wages
Using a three-sector general equilibrium model with non-traded goods, we investigate the impact of foreign direct investment on the real wages of skilled and unskilled workers. We show that foreign direct investment increases the real wages of skilled and unskilled workers, but widens the gap between the two under plausible conditions.
|Date of creation:||23 Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:||23 Dec 2008|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Pacific Economic Review.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://apec.usu.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence F. Katz & Kevin M. Murphy, 1992.
"Changes in Relative Wages, 1963–1987: Supply and Demand Factors,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(1), pages 35-78.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Kevin M. Murphy, 1991. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors," NBER Working Papers 3927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katz, L.F. & Murphy, K.M., 1991. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1580, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Paul Krugman & Robert Lawrence, 1993. "Trade, Jobs, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 4478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamid Beladi & Ravi Batra, 2004. "Traded and Nontraded Goods and Real Wages," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 1-14, 02.
- Das, Satya P., 2002. "Foreign direct investment and the relative wage in a developing economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 55-77, February.
- Batra, Raveendra N, 1973. "Nontraded Goods, Factor Market Distortions, and the Gains from Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 706-713, September.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1996. "In Search of Stolper-Samuelson Effects on U.S. Wages," NBER Working Papers 5427, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)