Foreign Direct Investment, Non-traded Goods and Real Wages
Using a three-sector general equilibrium model with non-traded goods, we investigate the impact of foreign direct investment on the real wages of skilled and unskilled workers. We show that foreign direct investment increases the real wages of skilled and unskilled workers, but widens the gap between the two under plausible conditions.
|Date of creation:||23 Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:||23 Dec 2008|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Pacific Economic Review.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://apec.usu.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence F. Katz & Kevin M. Murphy, 1992.
"Changes in Relative Wages, 1963–1987: Supply and Demand Factors,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(1), pages 35-78.
- Katz, L.F. & Murphy, K.M., 1991. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1580, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Kevin M. Murphy, 1991. "Changes in Relative Wages, 1963-1987: Supply and Demand Factors," NBER Working Papers 3927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamid Beladi & Ravi Batra, 2004. "Traded and Nontraded Goods and Real Wages," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 1-14, 02.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1996. "In Search of Stolper-Samuelson Effects on U.S. Wages," NBER Working Papers 5427, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Batra, Raveendra N, 1973. "Nontraded Goods, Factor Market Distortions, and the Gains from Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 706-13, September.
- Das, Satya P., 2002. "Foreign direct investment and the relative wage in a developing economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 55-77, February.
- Paul Krugman & Robert Lawrence, 1993. "Trade, Jobs, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 4478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usu:wpaper:2008-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Gilbert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.