Price Convergence under EMU? First Estimates
This paper examines whether European monetary union has lowered the degree of price dispersion among member countries. The difference-in-differences methodology is applied to four independent data sets containing prices of identical goods. While the results reported in the paper vary somewhat across goods, they provide little overall support of the European Commission's claim that the single currency would significantly deepen market integration among the euro-zone countries. Even though this should be viewed as preliminary evidence, it does suggest that there are other, more important impediments to market integration in the EU.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dufourstrasse 50, CH - 9000 St.Gallen|
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Ong, Li Lian, 1997. "Burgernomics: the economics of the Big Mac standard," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 865-878, December.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994.
"How Wide is the Border?,"
NBER Working Papers
4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," International Finance Discussion Papers 498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," Research Working Paper 95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Melitz, Jacques, 2001.
"Geography, Trade and Currency Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael R. Pakko & Patricia S. Pollard, 1996. "For here or to go? Purchasing power parity and the Big Mac," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 3-22.
- Slaughter, Matthew J., 2001. "Trade liberalization and per capita income convergence: a difference-in-differences analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 203-228, October.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2001.
"Does Money Illusion Matter?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1239-1262, December.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2000. "Does Money Illusion Matter?," IEW - Working Papers 045, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, . "Does Money Illusion Matter?," IEW - Working Papers 012, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Friberg, Richard, 2001.
"Two monies, two markets?: Variability and the option to segment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 317-327, December.
- Friberg, Richard, 2000. "Two monies, two markets? Variability and the option to segment," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 349, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Matthias Lutz, 2000. "EU Commission versus Volkswagen: New Evidence on Price Differentiation in the European Car Market," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 313-323, November.
- Frondel, Manuel & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2001.
"Evaluating environmental programs: the perspective of modern evaluation research,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-59, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Frondel, Manuel & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2005. "Evaluating environmental programs: The perspective of modern evaluation research," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 515-526, December.
- Frondel, Manuel & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2001. "Evaluating Environmental Programs: The Perspective of Modern Evaluation Research," IZA Discussion Papers 397, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Matthias Lutz, 2004. "Pricing in Segmented Markets, Arbitrage Barriers, and the Law of One Price: Evidence from the European Car Market," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 456-475, 08.
- Alan M. Taylor, 2002.
"A Century Of Purchasing-Power Parity,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 139-150, February.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Torsten Persson, 2001. "Currency unions and trade: how large is the treatment effect?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(33), pages 433-462, October.
- Matthias Lutz, 2002. "Beyond Burgernomics and MacParity: Exchange Rate Forecasts Based on the Law of One Price," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 D4-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:dp2003:2003-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Baumberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.