Regional Wage Convergence and Divergence: Adjusting Wages for Cost-of-Living Differences
An examination of the divergence of U.S. regional fortunes in the early 1980s, showing that once regional prices are factored in, relative wage rates continue to converge across regions. The trend in regional wage variation is also shown to be attributable to declining differences in labor market valuations of worker attributes, rather than to shifts in the regional composition of the workforce.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Appears in Economic Review: Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland 30(2): 26-37|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.upjohn.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald Oaxaca, 1971.
"Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets,"
396, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Lynn E. Browne, 1989. "Shifting regional fortunes: the wheel turns," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 27-40.
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Janice Shack-Marquez & William L. Wascher, 1988. "Regional labor markets, cost-of-living differentials, and migration," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 91, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark E. Schweitzer, 1993. "Accounting for earnings inequality in a diverse work force," Working Paper 9314, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Sahling, Leonard G & Smith, Sharon P, 1983. "Regional Wage Differentials: Has the South Risen Again?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 131-35, February.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Gerking, Shelby D & Weirick, William N, 1983. "Compensating Differences and Interregional Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 483-87, August.
- Bellante, Don, 1979. "The North-South Differential and the Migration of Heterogeneous Labor," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 166-75, March.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- Giora Hanoch, 1967. "An Economic Analysis of Earnings and Schooling," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 2(3), pages 310-329.
- Randall W. Eberts, 1989. "Accounting for the recent divergence in regional wage differentials," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q III, pages 14-26.
- Farber, Stephen C & Newman, Robert J, 1987. "Accounting for South/Non-South Real Wage Differentials and for Changes in Those Differentials over Time," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(2), pages 215-23, May.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4742787 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upj:weupjo:rwe1994er2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.