Components of city-size wage differentials, 1973-1988
An exploration of why workers in large cities are more highly paid than their rural counterparts. The authors decompose city-size wage differentials into the portion due to worker traits and the portion due to intercity differences in wage structures and find that differences in worker-attribute prices account for most of the disparity.
Volume (Year): (1991)
Issue (Month): Q IV ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1455 East 6th St., Cleveland OH 44114|
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beeson, Patricia E., 1990. "Sources of the decline of manufacturing in large metropolitan areas," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 71-86, July.
- Lynn E. Browne, 1989. "Shifting regional fortunes: the wheel turns," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 27-40.
- Gerking, Shelby D & Weirick, William N, 1983. "Compensating Differences and Interregional Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 483-487, August.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-1278, December.
- Randall W. Eberts, 1989. "Accounting for the recent divergence in regional wage differentials," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q III, pages 14-26.
- Sahling, Leonard G & Smith, Sharon P, 1983. "Regional Wage Differentials: Has the South Risen Again?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 131-135, February.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1973. "Regional Differences in the Structure of Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(2), pages 204-213, May.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Farber, Stephen C & Newman, Robert J, 1987. "Accounting for South/Non-South Real Wage Differentials and for Changes in Those Differentials over Time," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(2), pages 215-223, May.
- Cropper, M. L. & Arriaga-Salinas, A. S., 1980. "Inter-city wage differentials and the value of air quality," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 236-254, September.
- Leo Sveikauskas, 1975. "The Productivity of Cities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 89(3), pages 393-413.
- Erica L. Groshen, 1991. "Sources of Intra-Industry Wage Dispersion: How Much Do Employers Matter?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 869-884.
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1991. "Urban Development: Theory, Fact, and Illusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195069020.
- Segal, David, 1976. "Are There Returns to Scale in City Size?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(3), pages 339-350, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcer:y:1991:i:qiv:p:10-24:n:v.27no.4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (4D Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.