European investment promotion agencies vis-à-vis multinational companies from emerging economies: Comparative analysis of BRIC investor targeting
Multinational companies from emerging economies are becoming significant players in the globalized world economy. As the volume of foreign direct investment from emerging economies is rising, and emerging multinationals increasingly seek access to markets and assets in advanced developed economies, the host governments feel the need to define their responses and policies. The European Union is emerging as an important destination for outward foreign direct investment (OFDI) from Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC). The paper looks at the strategic stance of European national investment promotion agencies (IPAs) towards emerging multinationals from BRIC. It inventorizes promotion efforts of these IPAs tailored to the BRIC companies, such as specifically customized information provision on IPA websites and the presence of IPA representative offices in BRIC. On the basis of comparative analysis, it offers reflections on the challenges and opportunities presented by emerging multinationals to European countries.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Filippov, Sergey & Saebi, Tina, 2008. "Europeanisation Strategy of Chinese Companies: Its Perils and Promises," MERIT Working Papers 055, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Ramamurti, Ravi, 2012. "Competing with emerging market multinationals," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 241-249.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004.
"A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises,"
2004-19, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 35(1), pages 3-18, January.
- Theodore H. Moran, 2008. "What Policies Should Developing Country Governments Adopt Toward Outward FDI? Lessons from the Experience of Developed Countries," Chapters, in: The Rise of Transnational Corporations from Emerging Markets, chapter 13 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- José Guimón* & Sergey Filippov, 2012. "Competing for High-quality FDI: Management Challenges for Investment Promotion Agencies," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 4(2), pages 25-44, July.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Clifton, Judith & Díaz-Fuentes, Daniel, 2010. "The European Union, southern multinationals and the question of the 'strategic industries'," MPRA Paper 33040, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Françoise Hay & Christian Milelli, 2010. "Chinese FDI in Europe: Analysis from individual company data," Post-Print halshs-00607301, HAL.
- Rui, Huaichuan & Yip, George S., 2008. "Foreign acquisitions by Chinese firms: A strategic intent perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 213-226, March.
- Michele Fratianni & Chang Hoon Oh, 2008.
"Expanding RTAs, Trade Flows, and the Multinational Enterprise,"
2008-02, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Michele Fratianni & Chang Hoon Oh, 2009. "Expanding RTAs, trade flows, and the multinational enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(7), pages 1206-1227, September.
- Yadong Luo & Rosalie L Tung, 2007. "International expansion of emerging market enterprises: A springboard perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 38(4), pages 481-498, July.
- Carvalho, Flavia & Costa, Ionara & Duysters, Geert, 2010. "Global Players from Brazil: drivers and challenges in the internationalization process of Brazilian firms," MERIT Working Papers 016, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti & Marco Sanfilippo, 2011. "Chinese FDI strategy in Italy: the 'Marco Polo' effect," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(4), pages 277-291.
- Françoise Hay & Christian Milelli, 2010. "Chinese and Indian firms in Europe: Main characteristics and presumed impacts," Post-Print halshs-00607292, HAL.
- Peter J Buckley & L Jeremy Clegg & Adam R Cross & Xin Liu & Hinrich Voss & Ping Zheng, 2007. "The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 38(4), pages 499-518, July.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2000. "Capital Market Liberalization, Economic Growth, and Instability," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1075-1086, June.
- Di Minin, Alberto & Zhang, Jieyin & Gammeltoft, Peter, 2012. "Chinese foreign direct investment in R&D in Europe: A new model of R&D internationalization?," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 189-203.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2012076. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.