Competing for High-quality FDI: Management Challenges for Investment Promotion Agencies
Competition for FDI is intensifying and changing in scope as governments of developed and developing countries alike place a higher emphasis on the quality rather than on the quantity of FDI. Against the backdrop of contemporary international business trends, we argue that shifting from quantity to quality in FDI promotion entails a new policy mix and a new approach to performance evaluation. We examine the challenges that investment promotion agencies targeting quality are confronted with from an intellectual capital management perspective, drawing attention to the implications for their human, structural and relational capital. This study offers a broad framework to better guide FDI policy reform and evaluation.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Costa, Ionara & Filippov, Sergey, 2007. "A New Nexus Between Foreign Direct Investment, Industrial and Innovation Policies," MERIT Working Papers 030, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-75, September.
- Kemeny, Thomas, 2010. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Drive Technological Upgrading?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 1543-1554, November.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Vang, Jan, 2008.
"Globalisation of knowledge production and regional innovation policy: Supporting specialized hubs in the Bangalore software industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1684-1696, December.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Vang, Jan, 2008. "Globalisation of Knowledge Production and Regional Innovation Policy: Supporting Specialized Hubs in the Bangalore Software Industry," Papers in Innovation Studies 2008/20, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Harding, Torfinn & Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska, 2007.
"Developing economies and international investors : do investment promotion agencies bring them together ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4339, The World Bank.
- Harding, Torfinn & Javorcik, Beata, 2007. "Developing Economies and International Investors: Do Investment Promotion Agencies Bring Them Together?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6418, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Torfinn Harding & Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2007. "Developing economies and international investors. Do investment promotion agencies bring them together?," Discussion Papers 513, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Morisset, Jacques, 2003. "Does a country need a promotion agency to attract foreign direct investment : a small analytical model applied to 58 countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3028, The World Bank.
- Rajneesh Narula & John Dunning, 2010.
"Multinational Enterprises, Development and Globalization: Some Clarifications and a Research Agenda,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 263-287.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Dunning, John H., 2009. "Multinational enterprises, development and globalisation: Some clarifications and a research agenda," MERIT Working Papers 023, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jindra, Björn & Giroud, Axèle & Scott-Kennel, Joanna, 2009. "Subsidiary roles, vertical linkages and economic development: Lessons from transition economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 167-179, April.
- Wil Williams & Duncan Lewis, 2008. "Strategic management tools and public sector management," Public Management Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 653-671, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:4:y:2012:i:2:p:25-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.